This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

*SPOILER ALERT*

One word to describe this years MTV Video Music Awards-2020. 

And I mean that in the best and worst way. In years prior, the focus was on the over-the-top performances and fashion. This year was about being the safest and promoting social change.

The performers such as Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande wore makes along with their band and backup dancers. The audience cheered from the safety of their own homes while their faces were shown on camera and others attended the few drive-in performances where the concerts goers also wore masks. 

Keke Palmer, the host, opened up the event by proclaiming her solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. H.E.R and The Weekend also used their acceptance speeches to speak on the injustices within our society today. The artist DaBaby also used his performance of his hit song “Rockstar” to display visuals in support of the movement including spray painting the word “who” after the slogan “protect and serve” on the police car prop.

Although this was a very emotionally heavy and unique award show, Lady Gaga did show up with eight outfit changes between her performances and her acceptances. She even had a mask to match each look. Even though there was no meat dress or giant egg in sight, she still slayed as a fashion icon and rocked the stage performing some of her hits from her latest album Chromatica and was joined by Ariana for the performance of “Rain on Me”.

And there were plenty of, you guessed it, tik tok references. Doja Cat’s performance included her song “Say So” where her and her background dancers added the viral dance moves to the performance. 

In terms of fashion, there wasn’t much to judge because there were very little attendees in terms of stars. I would have to say best dressed goes to presenter Madison Beer because she can pull anything off.

Winners:

• Video of the Year-Blinding Lights (The Weekend)
  • Artist of the Year-Lady Gaga
  • Best New Artist-Doja Cat
  • Best Hip-Hop-Savage (Megan Thee Stallion)
  • Best Pop- On (BTS)
  • Tricon Award- Lady Gaga
  • Song of the Year- Rain on Me (Ariana Grande and Lady Gaga)
Gina Gelchie

Pace Pleasantville '22

Gina is a junior forensic accounting major attending Pace University Pleasantville. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she enjoys playing piano, going on road-trips, and eating Chipotle.