This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Are there some days you wake up and you feel like your anxiety reached the highest level possible? You feel like you don’t have control over anything? Or you simply overthink every aspect of your life? You feel lost? Unmotivated? PAUSE right there. Here are some ways to cope with your anxiety:

1. Breathe.

Yes, breathe. Simply Breathe. Take a deep breath. Practice the typical “breathe in, breathe out” technique. How many times have I already said “breathe”? Let’s not keep track of that… But basically, it’s extremely important to learn how to take a break from your chaotic schedule to inhale and exhale any type of heavy energy from your body.

2. Take A Break

Take a break and restore yourself. Unwind whatever is draining your energy whether it be people, activities, or even technology. Social Media can take a lot of our time and consequently, inhibit ourselves of focusing on what’s more important. Stop scrolling, and start controlling. Simply break free!

3. Spend Some Time With Yourself

Ahhh.. Having some “me time” is always good! Lighting some candles (if you live off campus), taking the shower of your life (helps A LOT when you’re stressed), putting on a face mask, or pouring a glass of wine (if you’re over 21, of course). Basically taking time to take care of yourself and be present is very important. You come first!

4. Move Your Body

Yes. Let’s get physical ladies. You don’t need to go all crazy about it, but being active and challenging your body to simply move is not only good for you physically but also mentally. Nothing better than accomplishing a work out goal or plugging in those headphones and going for a run. It also distracts you from thinking about other things. You can do it ;)

5. Listen to Music

Girllll, put your records on…listen to whatever makes you want to jam or even what makes you want to cry, honestly (YIKES). Music can help you express whatever type of emotion you want/need to let out. Permit yourself to feel it!

6. Organize Your Surroundings

Your own environment is everything and it can reflect how you feel. Personally, organizing helps me feel more productive and settled. When everything is in the right place you feel less stressed. Maybe, try and get some chores done. Clean your dorm, organize those school binders, do some laundry (don’t forget to fold- I’m not the best at that), take out any garbage in your room…no one wants to be in a cluttered environment. This can definitely improve your mental state.

7. Talk About It

Talking about it to someone you feel comfortable enough can help in so many ways. It can be a professional, a close friend or family member. Not only are you vocalizing it, you are releasing any negativity that is trapped in your head. It’s an exchange of trust and someone that carries anxiety has a hard time expressing themselves and trusting others. It’s a good kind of vulnerability and it’s a huge step.

8. Set Goals & Start Something New

Changing things up and challenging yourself in small doses can be invigorating and helpful in so many ways. Take a chance to finally explore that interest in photography you’ve always had by starting that new project you had in mind or just making it one of your personal hobbies. Always remember, tackle one thing at a time! Transitioning may be different for everyone. But getting out of your comfort zone gives you butterflies in your stomach and is always something to look forward to.

9. Let Go 

Let go of any form of judgment towards yourself. Anxiety can many times speak louder and block our freedom. Don’t let any limiting self belief or unwanted memories define who you truly are. Personally, this is the hardest for me because I’m a very nostalgic person. I’m happy to say that I’ve put this more into practice and letting go makes me feel so much more in peace with myself. You have the key to your life, so don’t let yourself live chained to others. Choose your freedom and let go…

10. Connect With Your Inner Energy

I can’t emphasize enough how important this tip is for your mental health, especially your anxiety. Activities such as yoga and meditation can help you find the balance you need. Energizing and calmness apps on your phone can teach you how to meditate. Immersing yourself in nature is also a way to connect with yourself. Take a break from your schedule and go watch the sunset! Get in touch with your spirituality and senses! Learning how to practice your inner relaxation can promote your wellness. Nourish and tune in to your subconscious.

11. Opt For Healthier Food

Hey, if you want that container of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream I’ll be the first person to bring you a spoon. This point number is not discouraging you from eating whatever makes you happy rather than encouraging you to choose healthier options. Make sure you drink lots of water and get all of those nutrients and vitamins. Your health should always be a priority!

12. Make Plans & Set A Routine

This is very important for every college student, specially if you have the mindset of someone that’s anxious or you’re just very busy. We can often get lost keeping up with academic deadlines, social life, extracurricular activities, work, and many other responsibilities. Go get a planner or calendar and start to manage your life. This will help you keep track and increase your productivity. Who doesn’t enjoy the feeling of checking something off a list throughout the day?

13.  Put Yourself First

This could be an extension of #3. This is a reminder that when you know your worth and whatever feeling is worth your time, you start to find yourself even more. Stop focusing on pleasing everyone around you and feeling guilty for making decisions that will make you happier. Not to mention that you are your own person! Project that to the world and you’ll feel more at peace with yourself. Happiness comes from within not from others.

14. It’s Okay.

It’s okay to have anxiety. Coming to a realization is already a huge step. Being aware of your emotions is very important. Many people live in denial and believe it’s useless to seek any form of help. Warning: this may seem cliche, but it is very true… “It’s okay to not be okay but it’s not okay to stay that way”. I don’t really know who quoted that but the internet suggests it was Shakespeare or Nicholas Sparks (I highly doubt it). In extension, you’re not less of a person for not feeling okay but I encourage you to put the same amount of energy onto something that makes you feel great.

We live in a world that can many times romanticize this type of feeling or behavior, but always remember that there is so much more to you than just your anxiety. Following some of these tips or simply reading already makes you brave. Her Campus cheers for you and your mental state! Good luck! :)

Pace University (Pleasantville Campus)

Counseling Center Walk-In Hours:

Weekdays from 1:00 to 2:30 PM daily during the academic year.

This time can be used for initial meetings or same day emergencies.

In case of an EMERGENCY when the Counseling Center is closed, call 9-1-1 or Security – (914) 773-3400

Phone Number: (914) 773-3710

Brenda Oliveira

Pace Pleasantville '21

Brenda is a sophomore Global Studies major, concentrating in Political Science, and minoring in Business at Pace University. She loves to travel, learn about different cultures, and meet new people. In her spare time, she enjoys to hike, get involved on campus, go to cafes and on adventures with friends. Not to mention she knows every FRIENDS tv show reference.