This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Trouble growing your hair out or repairing split ends? Here are some tips & tricks on how to help you reach your ultimate hair goals!

1. It’s Not Getting Hot In Here

Stop applying heat to your hair! Allow your hair to stay natural at least four days out of the week. That means no product, no heat, or extreme tension. Try putting your hair in loose ponytails, braids and other alternate styles to avoid the heat from hair dryers, curlers, and straighteners.

2. Hair Dye: BYE BYE!

If you are serious about growing your hair out you have to stop putting your hair through hair dye treatments, especially BLEACH. It can be your worst enemy as it’s super drying and makes hair brittle, allowing it to break off easier. Try to look at alternative and more natural ways to either lighten or darken your hair. For example, if you want to go lighter put lemon juice in your hair and sit out in the sun as this helps you obtain natural highlights. If you simply must dye your hair try to restrict it to every six months instead of constant touch ups.

3. Shampoo & Conditioner: Will it make or break you?

Try to use ones with more natural ingredients. Many products today are loaded with harmful chemicals like isopropyl alcohol, mineral oil, sulfates and synthetic fragrances. Make sure you know what you’re putting in your hair so you’re not working against yourself. Along with some extra gentle care when lathering up your hair follicles as they can be fragile.

4. Squeaky clean or let it be?

It’s okay to not wash your hair everyday. In fact it’s better to leave the natural oils in your hair as it needs them to promote hair growth. Washing your hair everyday can strip the hair of the vitamins it needs to be healthy or cause over drying of the scalp.

5. Ask your doctor about vitamins.

There’s some great healthy boosters out there on the market such as Hair, Skin and Nails, Women’s Multivitamin, Biotin and some more professional dietary supplements for hair growth like Viviscal. Check with your healthcare provider to find out if these could be some options for you.

6. Annual haircuts are a must!

Haircuts are a great way to keep the hair alive and healthy so make sure not to skip out on getting those dead ends cut off as this help promotes new hair growth. An inch or two is routine and will allow your hair to flourish. Now the typical recommendation for a haircut is every three months or so, but I say if your hair is thriving let it be.

7. The ultimate truth!

At the end of the day there is no magic pill or formula that’s going to turn you into Rapunzel overnight. The most important aspect for hair growth is TIME. Hair needs time to repair after being damaged with heat, hair color or tension we put it through.

Follow Athena Greschler on Instagram

Athena Greschler

Pace Pleasantville '21

Athena Greschler is a media & communication arts graduate student at Pace University. She is a world traveler, an environmental activist, yoga enthusiast, and a sister of ΑΛΣ sorority. 
Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.