Five Tips for Surviving Sorority Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Sorority recruitment is right around the corner, and if you’re thinking about going through recruitment, you probably have a lot of questions running through your head. As a senior, I’ve seen three formal recruitments, and I’ve learned my fair share of tips and have plenty of advice when going through the recruitment period. Here are the top five things you should know before your first day of formal recruitment come February.

1. Be yourself

This is the tip that you will hear repeatedly before and during recruitment. Nevertheless, it’s the most important tip. These couple of days you will meet many girls in many sororities, but don’t try and change your personality in every room just to make the sisters like you. Don’t pick the sorority that you want to be or you want to fit in with – go with the sorority that you actually have a connection with.

2. Trust the system

During your recruitment orientation, you will be briefed on the system that we use for recruitment, and while it may sound confusing, it’s important that you pay attention to how it works. It’s important to remember

what each round is and when to preference out an organization you no longer want to see.

This being said, you also have to keep an open mind with each room. Don’t go into recruitment with just one sorority in mind, just in case something doesn’t work out and you won’t be happy. Give every organization an equal chance!

3. Don’t be negative

The worst thing you can do is walk into a room and immediately not want to talk to anyone or participate in the activities in their rooms. Don’t mingle with the other potential new members and not talk to the sisters in the room if you don’t like them. The relationships you make in these rooms set a precedent for the rest of your time in the sorority. Remember you’re not just joining one organization but you’re also joining Greek life as a whole.

Even if you don’t like an organization, never talk negatively about them in another room. If you didn’t like a sorority and walk into another sorority, don’t tell those sisters about how you hated the activity at the last house.

4. Make a good first impression

While it’s not necessary to go out and buy a whole new outfit, it is important to look and act your best during recruitment. Come prepared for long days; pack a small bag of things you may want or need in between rounds. Some days have certain dress codes, so pay attention to that.

But, keep in mind that it’s not all about how you look, but how you act. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you’re concerned or have a question about a single organization. Be open to talk.

5. Make your own decision

It’s great to go into recruitment with your friends, but it’s even better to make a decision by yourself. Talk to your friends beforehand and make a collective decision on whether you’re going to discuss your choices or if you’re going to let their decisions sway your own.

The best thing to do is not worry about what all of your friends are doing either. You may be cut by three organizations after the first round, while your best friend got invited back to all of those organizations. It doesn’t matter how you get to the end, as long as you find a home that you belong in.

I hope that these tips help you prepare for our sorority recruitment. Be prepared for a long weekend, but at the end of it you’ll have an amazing experience.

Alexis Neuville

Pace Pleasantville

Alexis is a senior public relations with a minor in marketing at Pace University - Pleasantville. She's currently a Her Campus High School Ambassador Advisor and president of her sorority, Delta Phi Epsilon. She's very passionate about Greek life, fashion, and women's empowerment.
Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.