This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

College is a sweet release and a scary abyss all in one. From the fear of your future to the memories of a lifetime, finding your place in such a setting is hard. Leaving home, your friends, and everything you know will always be difficult. These five films, to me, encompass different aspects of this final coming-of-age saga for yourself: the infinite party scene, the scramble for memories, the fight for your dreams, the one last adventure, and the friends that will always feel like home. Here are five films about college and leaving that you will see yourself in.

Animal House

Directed by John Landis, 1978

The troublesome group of undeniable frat guys comes as no shock, but the antics they get into are nothing short of typical: Chaotic house parties, meaningful conversations, and messing with authority. The brotherly bond of companionship gets viewers to gain sympathy for the crazy bunch as they feel their way through the tumultuous mountains of a college semester. Books and booze, rivaling groups, and a parade marks the end of a trip. This film is a college staple, as you probably have at least one poster of the beloved Bluto, played by the late, astonishing John Belushi, chugging a bottle of Jack. While it is the most fantastical presentation of college living, the exageration and emphasis on it being set in the 70’s gives viewers the sense of the traditional passage through your college years, from drunken mistakes to sober victories. 

Good Kids

Directed by Chris Mccoy, 2016

Good Kids is a revelation of youthful feelings and ways to say goodbye. When four high school kids realize that they spent their last four years being squared away from the childish fun they rightfully deserved, they use their last summer to hash out some underlying feelings, emotions, and plans. Unspoken truths and unlikely relationships, this summer served as their last turning point together before they embarked on their own journeys into adulthood. Your oldest friends can be your friends for life, so why not make as many memories as possible before you’re no longer inseparable? 

Lady Bird

Written and directed by Greta Gerwig, 2017

This film is the epitome of teenage angst and the longing for a new beginning. When you crave a difference in your surroundings, but the lack of support from your family or confidence in yourself holds you back, you compromise. Protagonist, Lady Bird, carries herself through the college selection process and her senior year of high school as she also fights to discover herself, in the midst of her mother’s grasp. We all know how it feels to have our parents try to dictate our futures. Maybe you’ll find something in this movie that relates to you and your pursuits of your own.

Booksmart

Directed by Olivia Wilde, 2019

A tale of two best friends facing separation, they embark on a one night odyssey leading up to the much anticipated accomplishment that is graduating high school. Classmates and bathroom gossip, the infamous last day of school, and a party to die for. Well, almost. These two have a bond like no other, which is incredibly valuable when going into your future endeavors. Full of jokes and embarrassing moments that you and your best friend can probably relate to, this movie is a great sleepover feature with some girlfriends. 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Written and directed by Stephen Chbosky, 2012

Noted as a classic coming of age story, The Perks of Being a Wallflower tackles the conflicts of being a teenager, and growing up. From learning how to make new friends, to learning how to overcome your own trauma, this film gives insight as to how one can be suffocated by these issues, all with graduation and college around the corner. With great friends comes great responsibility, and protagonist Charlie has never learned that more. The people you surround yourself with can help you grow into a great person.

These are the most formative years of our lives. These films illustrate those endless, youthful memories and emotions that formed you. Feelings of excitement, love, loss, rejection, redemption, and fear. All of our humanistic attributes being condensed into four years. I hope that you find a piece of yourself in one of these films. The good, the bad, and the dirty, all create the four years that we end up ultimately adoring in the end. From the first time you leave home, to when leaving campus feels like leaving home, we will always be learning and growing in these environments. Recognize what you came from, and pinpoint where you’re going. 

Olivia Hawkins

Pace Pleasantville '22

Hey, my name is Olivia Hawkins and I am a sophomore Digital Cinema and filmmaking major here at Pace!