This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Many people struggle dealing with their curly hair. Using these tips and exploring different hair products can make living with curly hair so much easier.

Always detangle your hair when wet, never dry!

Normally, I will wash my hair once a week, two times at most. Washing your hair everyday is not healthy for your curls. You do not want to ever detangle your curls when they are dry. Not only will this cause your hair to break, but it will cause a lot of pain. The more you dentangle your hair dry, the more hair you will lose. 

Using the right conditioner.

Some conditioners that work for others may not work of you. I recommend using the TRESemme Flawless Curls Hydration Conditioner. This conditioner leaves my hair tangle-free. Once I apply it throughout my hair, I can easily glide my fingers through it. It leaves a foamy texture in my hair that reminds me of shampoo and I love it! Without the right conditioner for your hair, it will be difficult to detangle. 

Apply Gel.

ECO styling gel is my go-to gel. I use gel in my hair most of the time to allow my curls to last longer. I always apply gel in my hair when my it is soaking wet. The more gel I use, the longer I can go without washing my hair. Using gel allows my hair to be less frizzy and last longer overall. Without gel, my curls will not be as defined. If you do not want your hair feeling extremely crunchy, an alternative to ECO styling gel is Curls Unleashed: Curl Boosting Jelly. This product is basically gel that does not leave your hair feeling crunchy and hard at all.

Using a leave-in conditioner or cream.

Using a leave-in conditioner or cream after you rinse the conditioner from your hair, is great for keeping moisture in the hair. It prevents your hair from feeling dry and brittle. Cantu curling cream is the cream I always apply right after I rinse out my conditioner. It smells great, leaves my curls feeling bouncy, and it gives my hair a great amount of moisture. I apply this cream while I am in the shower. I found that the more wet my hair is, the better the product works. 

Always apply oil.

When shampooing your hair, you are stripping your hair of all your natural oils and products. After you wash your hair, you need to apply some type of oil to regain that moisture so your hair does not feel dry. The more moisturized your hair is, the more it will grow! I would recommend the Hair Repair Polisher with Aloe Vera oil. It smells great and it leaves my hair extra shiny throughout the day!

Having curly hair is not as easy as people think. It is a lot to handle. I hope these tips and products make it easier to deal with your curls. Good Luck!

Jada Desir

Pace Pleasantville '22

Jada is a Junior majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in sociology and anthropology at Pace University Pleasantville. She is from Brooklyn, NY. In her free time, Jada loves to listen to music and dance. This year, her goal is to get involved more on campus and meet new faces.