body images 2019 11 16 983bd7463925fc311389802b6f821efdjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 16 983bd7463925fc311389802b6f821efdjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Questions Every College Student Hates Being Asked at Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Thanksgiving is less than a week away and we can’t wait to have a break from classes and the stress of the semester. It’s a day dedicated to eating tons of food, being thankful for everything that you have and spending time with family and friends. It’s a wonderful holiday filled with turkey and all kinds of pie! What’s not to love? It’s a great time until that one relative decides to start slamming you with a million questions, most of which you do not want to hear or answer. 

How’s school going?

It doesn’t take long for this question to be asked once a college student returns home for the holidays. When we college kids come home for break, the last thing we want to think or talk about is schoolwork, classes, and grades. But, of course, we smile and respond the best way we can. 

What are your plans after you graduate?

Hmm, this is a question for next Thanksgiving. Today is a day for stuffing our faces and THAT’S ALL. 

You look like you’ve gained weight. Have you been going to the gym?

This is something that is hard to avoid when you only consume Easy Mac and iced coffee every day … the Freshman 15 (or 30) is a delightful thing and we all go through it! 

Don’t you think you’ve had enough wine?

All you can do is chuckle awkwardly but in your head, all you can think about is how you usually channel your inner-Irish-roots on the weekends…

When are you going to get a job?

When you’re so busy trying to figure out how many more mashed potatoes and gravy you can eat before busting open, this is the last question you would expect to be asked. I’ll think about my next job tomorrow.

Are you seeing anyone special these days?

When it’s way too much to explain that you’re talking to someone plus, nobody (the actual adults) won’t understand what that means so you just play it safe and say no.

Heather Kenney

Pace Pleasantville '22

Heather is a junior Nursing major at Pace University Pleasantville. She is a dancer on Pace's Dance Team and she is from the shoreline of Connecticut. In her free time, Heather loves going to the beach, taking long drives and consuming way too much coffee.