This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

10 Tips to Survive Finals’ Week

As finals’ week approaches, we all get super stressed and very little hours of sleep. It is very important that we time manage appropriately, so this way we are benefited instead of going insane the night before a test… or a few tests. I will help you with 10 tips that will guide you, and hopefully make your studying time somewhat less stressful.

1. Do study guides

Studies have shown that when you do your study guides by hand, you are able to retain more information. You can color code and highlight, and when taking the test you can remember what you wrote based on the color and category you chose. It helps your memory identify important information.

2. Take breaks

Taking breaks is helpful so you don’t get clustered and overwhelmed with information. You need to give your brain a little break to be able to absorb the information that you just took in. Taking a break for 20 minutes or so will also increase the blood flow, which can improve your creativity.

3. Make sure you are eating

If you have a healthy diet then it’s more likely that you’ll concentrate when studying. A high protein intake will result in the right amount of level your neurotransmitters should be. Leave the carbohydrates for another day, because when you eat sugary and fatty foods your body will result in fatigue and cravings. We both know that is not good when you have to focus on learning important information.

4. Enough sleep

This is one of the most important things to consider when planning your study time. According to Dr. Matt Carter, “The reason to get a good night’s sleep is really so you can enjoy the next day and so you can consolidate what you did the day before”. Basically, if you just keep studying and don’t have a time to decompress and sleep, whatever you are studying will stay in your memory. That is what happens when you are taking a test and you thought you knew the information but you can’t put it together to answer the question.

5. Lay off energy drinks

One energy drink or a cup of coffee is acceptable when studying, but anymore than that will only harm you. You will become all jittery and your heart rate will increase, which can backfire and make you unfocused of your work. This can result in a crash, so be careful how you manage you caffeine and energy drinks intake.

6. Attend review sessions (if provided)

Usually professors will give a review session the class before the final. And if they don’t, they are open to questions or concerns you might have. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, professors are there to help you not hurt you. If you were constantly skipping class, this would be a good day to show up and make sure you don’t get surprised in the final.

7. Tutoring centers are there for a reason

If a class worries you, make sure you go to the tutoring center. You will be surprised how well these people are trained to help you. This way you go into the exam feeling more prepared, and if you are not good at developing a study guide, they will be there guiding you. They usually know the way the professor of that given subject works and they can give you tips on how to succeed.

8. Prioritize study time

Finals’ week can get very hectic. Around this time the weather is very nice and everyone wants to be outside. But you will have plenty of time to enjoy this warmth in the summer. So stay focused, develop a studying schedule and make sure you follow through with it. Now would be a good time to open that planner you bought but haven’t used all semester, so that you can keep track of when your finals are and how to divide your time to study.

9. Stay away from distractions

PLEASE, put your phone in silent or “do not disturb”. Stay away from groups that are loud or will distract you while you are studying. Make sure you find a spot that works for you, whether that is in the library or outside in the lawn, or even a study lounge. Figure out how you study best, if what works is to study alone or with classmates. Make sure you don’t procrastinate.

10. Make it fun

A good idea to optimize your studying could be rewarding yourself. You should set goals, and as you achieve them or learn something you can eat something or take a quick break. Quiz yourself from time to time or have a friend do it, this way you can have a list of what you actually know and what you don’t.

Isabella Sanchez

Pace Pleasantville

Isabella is a passionate and opinionated sophomore majoring in Applied Psych and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She is bilingual and drags her latin vibes everywhere she goes.