Michaela Bosch ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

If you’re addicted to Pinterest like me, I’m sure you’ve gazed through boards and boards of seemingly impossible nail designs. I always pin them and tell myself I’ll attempt it one day but never have had any success. This is where this week’s Campus Celebrity, Michaela Bosch ’15, shines. Michaela was first inspired to try out the nail art scene from a manicure featuring a panda. “I thought it was the cutest thing ever and I tried it out… it went pretty badly. I kept practicing until I guess I got pretty good.” Good is an understatement. Michaela turns an ordinary manicure into a masterpiece.

You may have seen Michaela’s artwork through her designs on top of drinks at the Green Bean, but now her art can be seen on the nails of many a Collegiette throughout campus. Michaela likes to create any and everything around her into a design. For previous nail art designs she has used inspiration from fabric patterns, nature, cartoons, food, and one of her favorites: famous paintings. “I have a collection on my website called “Nail Art History” where I show off some nail art inspired by paintings that I like.”

Speaking of her website, Michaela started “Hard in the Paint” as a side project from her other blog. The website shows photos of some of her beautiful creations. What one is she most proud of? “The Adventure Time nails I did for Melissa” says Bosch. “I’m also really proud and excited about being re-blogged by the Staff Blog on Tumblr for what they call my ‘Hope Nails’ which are Obama themed”.

For those who want to try nail art themselves Michaela suggests that “a dotting tool, which is basically a stick with a ball on it, is crucial. You can just use a bobby pin. That and pure acetone, but use that with caution”.

For those who would rather leave it to the professionals, Michaela is open for business! Michaela does anything from simple manicures (full manicures: she knows how to do all the cuticle business too!), french manicures, simple designs, one of her amazing creations, and almost anything in between. Michaela only charges $10, which is much cheaper than a trip to a salon! She also offers a “Five Finger Discount” card, with which you get a dollar off per time you go that you can cash in at any time. Want to make an appointment? Email: mbosch@oxy.edu.

Please visit Michaela’s blog hardinthepaintnails.tumblr.com to see all of her wonderful art!

Photo Credit: Facebook, and hardinthepaintnails.tumblr.com