Love Lessons We Can Learn From The Hills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

It is not a secret that I love Lauren Conrad and of course became obsessed with The Hills, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Through the years we watched Lauren, Heidi, Audrina, Lo and Whitney grow up, especially in the love department. They’ve seen and done it all, so here is what we can learn from them!

“No one’s had the best relationships in the past. That’s why they’re in the past” -Lauren
Sometimes as girls we may be tempted to crawl back to an ex. It’s like a curse. So whether you have had a few drinks or are just feeling really lonely, DON’T do it. Always remember that there was probably a reason for your breakup, and if you get back together, it is very likely that you will break up again, and for that same original reason.

“But then when I wait around for you to call and like ask me out, you don’t do it so I just sit there and wait. Do you think that’s fair to me?” -Audrina
“I mean, he seems different but we’ll see, you know” -Audrina

Audrina was always in and out of a relationship with Justin Bobby. There can be a whole section of this article just based on their relationship and why no girl should have to go through that. He never treated her right even when she asked him to. Whenever they were back together she thought that he had changed, but it turns out he never did. Learn from Audrina, boys will not change for you! (Also, if he burps during your dinner date, he is probably not boyfriend material.)

“He’s not a good person. I’m telling you that because I’m your friend” -Lauren
“I’m keeping my opinions to myself, they just get me in trouble” -Lauren

These two are paired together to show that there is a fine line when it comes to love and friends. Lauren always told Heidi how awful Spencer was, but Heidi didn’t listen. And then Lauren lost one of her best friends. While it is good to warn a friend about a bad guy or to offer advice when they ask for it, sometimes you just have to keep things to yourself. You could end up losing your friend just because she likes him and you don’t.

“I told you I would be your friend again eventually. I just couldn’t do it at first” -Lauren (talking to Jason)
Befriending an ex can be a great thing, but sometimes it just takes a while to accept that the romantic relationship is over. When you are dating someone they become your best friend, someone you tell everything to. And when you break up they suddenly aren’t that person anymore. But that doesn’t have to happen! Exes can still be your close friends and they can be a great resource for boy advice, just make sure you give yourself some time to heal first.

“You should have a guy that makes you feel happier, not upset. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for” -Lauren
Boyfriends are wonderful, so they should make you feel wonderful too. If you are upset all the time, you really might want to reconsider your relationship. Yes, every couple fights, but if there is never a rainbow at the end of the storm, you’re just going to be stuck in a very stormy relationship. Everyone deserves someone that makes them truly happy.

“It’s one thing to have a boyfriend, it’s another thing to abandon your whole life” -Lauren
It is important to let your boyfriend become a part of your life, but not become your whole life. Don’t forget about your girls! You should definitely set away some time for hanging out with your girlfriends. And you should encourage your guy to do the same with his friends. Don’t lose what is important to you just because there is someone new in your life.

“If you really want to be with someone, it should be someone you really like, someone you’re really proud to be with, and you should want to call them your boyfriend or girlfriend.” -Lauren
This one is pretty self explanatory. If a boy does not make you feel all three of these things, it probably isn’t the best relationship. Basically, don’t pity-date anyone, don’t be with someone who sucks, and don’t date someone you are embarrassed to call your boyfriend.

Other Notable The Hills Love Quotes to Live By
“Love is not a maybe thing. You know when you love somebody”-Lauren
“He should be the one who has to work to get you” -Lo
“Sometimes no matter how much you like a guy, they’re just not good for you” -Lauren
“Every girl deserves to be treated like a princess” -Heidi
“He’s a good looking guy, but looks can only take you so far” -Whitney
“I make fun of guys when I like them. I do it as a test to see if they can laugh at themselves” -Lauren

Did you used to watch The Hills? What is your favorite quote?

Photo Source: neontommy.com