Lauren Salvage ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Name: Lauren Salvage ’16

Age: 22

Hometown: Brighton, England

Relationship Status: Taken

Major: American History & Politics

Hi Lauren! Tell us a bit about your exchange program here at Occidental.

I’m here for a year from UEA (University of East Anglia). It’s part of my degree to go abroad to an American university for a year. I chose Oxy because Obama went here and also because I watched “The L Word” too much as a teenager and assumed it was basically a documentary of what LA would be like.

How about things you’re involved with on campus?

I did some volunteering for the LA LGBT center and Planned Parenthood last term which was great. I’m also part of the Lead with Pride program. I wish I was involved with more things but I have a lot of work / things to watch on Netflix so there isn’t always time.

What is your favorite thing about America?

A couple of things – obviously the academics here are amazing, I love Oxy, there are so many extracurricular things offered at the school. It’s kind of boring to say the weather but it is fabulous, so is the food here. Of course the charming flame haired goddess I’ve hitched my wagon to is the very best thing of all [Full disclosure: she’s talking about the interviewer, we’re BFFLs]. Also, I prefer American lemonade over English lemonade; it’s not carbonated which genuinely makes all the difference in the world.

What do you miss the most from home?

My girlfriend Rachel, my little brother Dylan. My whole family, really. So many things. I just love England. I miss everything about the country in general, it’s hard to pick one thing.

Tell us a bit more about your girlfriend.

I’ll tell you how we met because I think it’s really funny. Rachel was a student politician at UEA and I went to see her give a campaign speech. I had never met her before but I knew she was the women’s officer and really involved in the feminist society. She gave a two minute speech and at the end of it I was completely in love with her, so I basically decided that she was going to be my girlfriend. I chased her for a few weeks, turning up everywhere she went, trying to be incredibly charming and eventually she realized how great I was. She’s my ideal gal really – an ambitious brunette, slightly frightening, always wearing red lipstick. She’s also beautiful and very smart.

What is/was your ideal date?

Once Rachel and I went to a picnic in this place called the Plantation Gardens in Norwich. We did take food but it was mainly an alcoholic picnic, and there was lots of making out. That was my perfect date.

What’s your favorite Cooler snack?

That’s such a good question. I’m really into the ice cream in a big way. I’ve also discovered horchata since coming here, which I think is divine. Pizza, mozzarella sticks, chips – Basically anything carby I love.

Who is your favorite professor here?

Most of the professors I’ve had here have been amazing, but I am especially fond of Professor Tahani-Medain and Professor Freer. I love having so many female professors because at UEA it’s a lot of old white guys and it’s nice to have a little more diversity.

Which “Golden Girl” are you, Lauren?

I would love to say that I am Blanche, but realistically Dorothy. I feel it in my bones. I wish I could be the femme fatale but I think I’m actually just the slightly obnoxious overachiever. [Full disclosure: the interviewee requested this question.]

Tell us something you would like people to know about you. I’m not from London. Not every English person that you meet is from London. Also, can I just say one thing? I’d really like Hillary Clinton to be President in 2016.

Sarah is a senior history major at Oxy - she likes cats, naps, pizza, and wine.
I am an aspiring blogger/instagrammer/vine star from sunny Southern California. I have a passion for crafting, crocheting and Disneyland!