Kick Your Boring Gym Routine to the Curb!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Tired of feeling like the hoards of athletes in Alumni gym are judging you? Ready to kick the worn out equipment in the teeny tiny Rangeview ‘fitness center’? You’re tired of the old Oxy gym routine and so are we! Read on for a list of places near campus where you can find a new exciting work out that will kick your butt and keep you coming back for more. So grab some friends or venture on your own because as we know a healthy collegiette is a happy collegiette! 

For the Barre Babe

Don’t be fooled by the name, ballet experience is not necessary for these cutting edge barre classes! Favorites of celebrities such as Mindy Kaling and Madonna, most barre workouts are designed to focus on toning, burning fat, and lengthening muscles. They may seem difficult at first because you will be asked to execute small ‘isometric’ movements that really target a specific muscle group, however you will feel the burn even more than traditional push ups and crunches. These workouts incorporate balls, bands, weights, and of course the barre to really help you get the most out of the exercises.  Barre workouts are never boring, and often have energetic and professionally trained instructors that will help you through if you’re a beginner or more experienced. 

Pop Physique
5709 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles CA 90042
323.488.6268

Cardio Barre
1581 Colorado Blvd, Eagle Rock CA 90041
323.256.5555

Pure Barre 
107 S Fair Oaks, Pasadena CA 91105
626.765.9400

Insider tip: Leggings or yoga pants and socks are required in most barre classes so leave the shorty shorts at home for this one. 

For the Centered Cutie

A yoga class can be a great way to distress and find time for meditation while really strengthening all areas of the body.  No two yoga studios are exactly the same so you might have to try a couple to find a class, method, or teacher you really like. If you’re into yoga already, and are looking to take it to the next level try a Bikrim yoga class! The Bikrim system consists of a 90 minute class that will take you through several breathing exercises as well as 26 postures, all in 106 degree heat. This may sound intense, but you will leave feeling cleansed, more relaxed, and energized trust us!

Core Club LA
2150 Colorado Blvd, Eagle Rock CA 90041
323.682.8434

Namaste Highland Park
5118 York Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90042

Bikram Yoga South Pasadena 
526 Mission St, South Pasadena CA 91030
626.799.5656

Insider tip: If you’re not ready to commit to a full membership with a yoga studio, many offer $10 community classes, discounts for students, and free first time classes. 

For the Fearless Female 

If you’re looking for a workout that’s high energy and is going to make you feel powerful and strong look no further. Even if you’re a beginner don’t be afraid of a challenge, because all of these studios/centers will work with you to make you feel at ease if you’re stepping out of your comfort zone.  No matter what your goal is for your fitness routine taking the first step is the hardest part, so try something new and soon you’ll be feeling healthier and happier!

CrossFit Eagle Rock
4662 Eagle Rock Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90041
323.902.7625

Xtreme Training Center
2131 Colorado Blvd, Eagle Rock CA 90041
323.259.9009

Revolutions Cycling Studio
7462 N Figueroa St, Eagle Rock CA 90041
323.478.9593

Insider Tip: Don’t be afraid to ask for clarification over and over again. It’s your time, money, and most importantly, health. If you don’t fully understand something, ask, there’s absolutely no shame and harm in it!

Can’t get off campus? Although these centers/studios are all near by, sometimes an on campus option is best, so don’t forget about these great on campus resources!

Oxy Yoga Club 

Zumba Fitness