HerCampus Oxy’s Guide to Picking Classes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Course Counts is up and the excitement/panic about next semester is starting. Here are 5 quick tips on how to deal with the Counts website and picking classes.

1) Look through Course Counts

Go to https://counts.oxy.edu/ and look around. Many classes change between fall and spring, so classes you thought were there may no longer be offered. Pick out some classes that you may be interested in. Click through the Core Search tab to find classes that you need to complete your core requirements.

2) Talk to your advisor

Whether or not you have declared your major your advisor will be able to help make a plan for you. If you need extra help, make an appointment at the advising center. 

3) Ask about classes and professors

Before you put your full trust in ratemyprofessors.com, ask friends and upperclassmen. You’re more likely to find polar opinions on the website (absolutely love/ hate so and so class) than what the class was actually like. Asking around campus is definitely the way to go.

4) Make multiple schedules

Back up plans are a necessity. Classes fill up quickly, so make sure you log in quickly and be prepared to keep a working schedule.

5) If you don’t get your classes…

Email the professors of the classes you wanted to get! Most professors will work with you to help you get into their classes. Even if they can’t waive you in before classes start, show up to the first day of class, people could possibly drop it.

Good luck and choose wisely!

Photo Credit: counts.oxy.edu