Fun Things to do in LA this Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

It has been about six weeks since classes began. With papers, tests, and readings piling up, you probably have not had a lot of opportunity to get off campus to explore LA. The good news for you is that in the next few weeks, there are some great choices of events that will take you all around the city without emptying your wallet!

10/5/2013: Go to Colorado Blvd between Eagle Rock Blvd. and Argus Dr. this Saturday between 4-10 pm for the annual Eagle Rock Music Festival. With almost all local acts, it will be an incredible night and it is a great way to support the vibrant community we call home. (Tickets range from $10-$20 in donation to support arts in Eagle Rock, a bargain for this amazing event!)

10/6/2013: Are you green-conscious? Do you hate driving around this city?  Want to see “the City of Angels” from a new perspective? Participate in CicLAvia! What is it? It’s a day with more people on bikes than cars, a total rarity. The streets are made safe for bike-riders to explore, without the traffic congestion of cars. Oxy is leading a trip to CicLAvia leaving from the Fountain at noon this Sunday. You must rent your own bike or borrow one. It will be a great day, a lot of fun and will let you see this amazing city we live in an amazing new way!

10/19/2013-10/20/2013: In a city where the sun shines some 340 days a year, it’s hard to imagine having four defined seasons. However, even though we don’t have gorgeous New England fall foliage or real “sweater weather”, we still love to take in the best parts of the season, almost all of which revolve around pumpkins. Though a decent drive away (40 minutes with no traffic, which means at least an hour and a half), the Calabasas Pumpkin Festival is a great way to experience this beautiful season and indulge in all things pumpkin (jack o’lanterns, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, etc.)!

ALMOST EVERY DAY: We’re in LA, in the heart of the entertainment industry. We all have that secret desire to bump into our favorite celebrity (cough, cough Channing Tatum and/or Neil Patrick Harris), so why not just embrace it? One of the best (FREE!!!!) ways to spot celebs is to attend free tapings of TV shows. They take place all around the LA area, from Culver City, up to Burbank, all the way to right in the heart of Hollywood Boulevard. Some great options that are currently taping are Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel, The Price is Right, Jeopardy, Two and a Half Men and The Voice. Attending these tapings is so fun, you’re in the same room as some of the biggest stars in Hollywood and going IS FREE! Definitely take advantage of some of these amazing opportunities.  Also check out this HC article for tips on being in the audience!
Look for tickets on http://1iota.com/ !