Five Fall Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

Now that it’s SORT of starting to feel more like fall, there is a legitimate reason for an article about fall clothing essentials to go up on the Her Campus Oxy page.  Not going to lie, I was already stubbornly wearing some of these back in October when LA weather still insisted on climbing into the 90s. There’s nothing wrong with Southern California sunshine, but I have to admit I’ve always favored the autumn portion of my wardrobe. 

Of course, what makes something “essential” is totally subjective. For me, what makes these items fall essentials is the fact that they’re not only practical for the chillier autumn months, but they’re familiar. They seem to emerge year after year- sometimes in different variations- but never go out of style. 

1. Leggings and Tights. To tell the truth, I am a relatively recent leggings convert. I’ve always been a fan of leggings in general but always with a pair of shorts or pleated skirt layered on top. I couldn’t understand why people would only wear them as pants. The thought still makes me hesitant, but I find the combination of leggings with a sweater or flannel a very cute but comfy ensemble. 

2. Oversized Sweater. These large sweaters with a pair of jeans or leggings make an awesome default autumn ensemble. As an avid thrift store shopper, I love how they’re easy to dig up too. You can also try H&M, Old Navy, or your dad or boyfriend’s closet (personally that’s how I discovered the magic of the oversized sweater.)

3. Ankle boots. Whether they have laces or stacked heels, ankle boots are nearly synonymous with fall. Okay, so that’s a hyperbole, but as fall continues to descend upon us I am also starting to spot these more often around campus. Ankle boots fit in right between regular flat shoes and combat boots, so they’re perfect for a transitional season like fall.

4. Print trousers. Light fabric trousers were trendy during the summer, but they’re another great staple for transitioning your wardrobe from summer to fall. Print trousers come in a variety of hues, patterns and designs, so if you match them just right, you can use them to dress up your favorite pullover or jacket. Mixed prints and pattern-on-pattern are pretty trendy this season too, so don’t be afraid to experiment!

5. Boyfriend blazer. One of the greatest things about the boyfriend blazer is that it’s multi-purpose. You can layer it over a tee and pencil pants and achieve a look that’s great for both the office or a night out. I’ve seen this item work on a wide range of body types, which is another aspect of the blazer that I love, but I have to admit it can be a little difficult to find the perfect fit: a great blazer is boxy but not baggy, oversized but not overwhelming.  

Currently, I have my eye on a specific blazer on retail at Cotton On. It definitely convinced me that it’s high time I started writing my Christmas wishlist.

Photo Credit: fabulousbyangie.tumblr.com