The Best Parts of Valentine’s Day (Regardless of Relationship Status)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

“21 Reasons Why Valentine’s Day is Better When You’re Single”

“14 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day with your SO”

I’m sure your Facebook feed is filled with “articles” just like these two that I completely made up. At this time of year we just can’t decide if Valentine’s Day is better when you have a special someone in your life or when you’re a fierce, independent person. But here’s what I have to say about the conversation, since you’ve all be asking: Let’s stop the fighting! Valentine’s Day is awesome no matter what point you’re at in your life. You don’t believe me? Then follow my concise, compelling argument and you’ll soon understand!

The Valentines

Do you remember back to elementary school when you were guaranteed a valentine from everyone in your class? That was freaking awesome. You got to decorate a shoebox and then watch it fill to the brim with little notes and delicious candies. Sometimes you’d get a few stickers or some sweet temporary tattoos. You were literally living the dream.

Don’t think all that has to end once you become an adult! There is no law stopping you from buying a box of Valentines. The stores carry some pretty sweet ones now. Maybe you won’t be able to hand one out to every member of your class but that doesn’t mean you can’t wear all the tattoos!

The Movie

You know what I’m talking about. The brilliant masterpiece with an A-list cast known as Valentine’s Day. I honestly don’t know what there isn’t to love about this movie. Sure it’s super cheesy but I’ll be damned if it’s not one of the greatest holiday-based movies in existence. Far better than Love Actually. (Don’t hate me for my unpopular opinion.)

I probably cried throughout the whole movie. I cried when the elderly couple rekindled their romance during the movie in the park. I cried with Taylor Swift gave her beautiful debut acting performance (for which she should have won an Oscar, but I won’t get into that). And of course I cried when Julia Roberts came home to see her son.

Such a beautiful movie that we would not have if were not for Valentines Day.

The CANDY

Definitely the most important part of this holiday. You can enjoy candy by yourself or with a large group of friends. You can enjoy it anywhere and at any age!

But you should wait until February 15th to enjoy it because you can get all the discount candy you want! There is nothing better than the day after Valentine’s Day candy. All that candy sat waiting on the shelves, hoping to fulfill their life’s purpose of being given to a loved one. Instead they’ll be bought at half price and probably devoured in one sitting.

And if that’s not the true spirit of Valentine’s Day then I don’t know what is.

I am an aspiring blogger/instagrammer/vine star from sunny Southern California. I have a passion for crafting, crocheting and Disneyland!