Audrey Logan ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxy chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is Audrey Logan (2013). The senior from Branford, CT is involved in several activities and projects around campus, including Delta Omicron Tau and OSAC, but her most important work is with Project SAFE (Sexual Assault Free Environment), a group dedicated to support survivors of sexual assault with crisis intervention and facilitating educational workshops with other organizations on topics related to sexual assault, such as relationship violence, stalking, and ally/bystander skills. She and Fatima Avellan are the two student programming assistants and they carry out Project SAFE’s workshops and awareness campaigns. 

Audrey first started working with Project SAFE her sophomore year as a part of the student advisory board, and she says her favorite part of her job is planning and facilitating workshops. “We get to meet and learn with so many different groups on campus and spread the word about these issues. Moments where we get to see groups working together and see when the material truly hits home are very rewarding for me,” she says. 

The work that Project SAFE does has been at the forefront of the recent debate surrounding sexual assault and college policy. Audrey feels passionately about the issue of sexual violence on campus, saying “sexual violence has been kept in the dark for so long on this campus. It is amazing to hear so many people talking about it.” For Audrey, education about the issues is one of the best ways to become an active and supportive bystander. “Students are huge stakeholders in this issue. We are the ones at the highest risk to have these issues impact our lives, with rates of assault in college being far higher than our age group outside the university system.” The statistics are harrowing, but with women like Audrey working hard on campus to educate and support, Oxy students have hope. 

Project SAFE is located in the Center for Gender Equity, which is in Stewie Hall (lower lounge). Programming assistants are available for office hours from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. If you want to get involved or ask about workshops and available resources, e-mail them at projectsafe@oxy.edu

Madi Tsuji is a former Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Occidental. She is originally from Seattle, WA and now lives in New York City, where she works in PR.