danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It’s Never Too Late to Change Your Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Lately, I’ve been musing to my family and friends that my mother, my father, my siblings, and I are all going to start new careers at the same time! My mother will be wrapping up design school, my father will be retiring from the military and starting a new career path, my siblings will be starting college, and I will be graduating with my bachelor’s (hopefully) in 2020. I think it’s amazing that we all have the chance to be in a similar boat in terms of each of us starting to make our way in a new field!

I have yet to formally declare a major, but I know myself well enough to understand that I need flexibility. I like an ever-changing environment, and I get a thrill from the excitement that challenging and unusual circumstances bring! Knowing this about myself is the reason I have been considering majoring in Political Science. There are so many directions that I can take after college with the skills I would learn, and it seems like the perfect fit for me!

I still know that I have a little time left to decide because one of the wonderful things about attending a liberal arts college is having two years to decide which field of study we want to focus on. A lot of Sophomores have been stressing out about deciding on their final major, and I’ve spoken to dozens of Freshmen who don’t even know how to begin thinking about what they want to study. While it is important to study something you care about, it isn’t the final say in what you will do or where you will go in your life!

For example, my mother majored in Psychology because she thought it was an interesting subject, but she wasn’t passionate enough about it to fully pursue a career in it. Now, she is starting design school to become an interior designer! Another example is my aunt who decided to major in Spanish because she already had all the requirements fulfilled but now she is an insurance adjuster! Your major doesn’t necessarily limit what you can do with your life. People change, and sometimes your career needs to change with you. It’s not an unusual problem for people to have either. The average person changes jobs almost twelve times throughout their life! So, don’t worry if you feel like the end is looming because change is always a possibility!

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!