Why I Decided to Take 22 Credit Hours This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

After a yearlong leave of absence during the 2015-2016 academic year, I came back to campus feeling motivated to do well both academically and socially.  I spent my leave of absence interning and volunteering in Houston, focusing much of my time on my spiritual and emotional growth.

Last semester, I felt overwhelmed and overworked by the third week of classes. The student body at Oxford had changed completely, new buildings had been erected, and it felt like I didn’t know anyone. It wasn’t until I really started to get to know my current friends that I felt supported and integrated into campus life. I became better at time management and was in bed by 9:00pm on most nights.

My sleep schedule really helped my productivity and allowed me to wake up, without an alarm, by 7am on most mornings. While I know that this system isn’t attainable for most students, I do think a regular sleep schedule has done wonders for my mood, skin, and overall well-being. After I got into my routine, I found myself having too much free time. I completed essays weeks before they were due and kept up with readings and test material. I made the Merit List last semester and felt it was entirely due to my time management.

I feel best when I am busy and engaged with new and interesting material, so this semester, I decided to challenge my time management abilities and decided to overload in academic credits. I am taking Macroeconomics, English Criticism, Statistics, Global Political Economy, Spanish Theater, Film, & Performing Art, Art Independent Study (1 credit), and Ox Studies (1 credit). In addition to my own course load, I am a Supplemental Instructor for Dr. Shannon’s “Intro to Sociology” class and have to sit in on his Tuesday and Thursday lectures, which add another 3 hours and 20 minutes to my weekly lecture time.

This arrangement certainly comes with its tradeoffs. For example, I missed the deadline for this very article, but I hope to get better as the semester progresses. My number one piece of advice is to complete readings, assignments, essays, and other deadline-sensitive tasks way before the deadline (ironic, I know). Having stressful assignments out of the way allows you more time to consult your professor with any questions or doubts you may have.  I will certainly write a follow-up to this piece later in the semester with updates on my sanity/emotional state.

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.