What’s So Special About Me?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Comparing myself to others is something I’ve always been told not to do, yet somehow it seems instinctual to think about how I wish nothing more than to have certain attributes of other people. I wish I was as skinny as the girl I pass on the way to class, as funny as someone the girl in my anthro class, as interesting as the girl who I see on Instagram. Confidence has never been my strong suit, and when I compare myself to others it becomes even worse.

I can’t be the only person who dreads being asked to “tell me about yourself.” What is there to tell? What do I say that makes me sound interesting? And when I hang out with my friends I wonder how we are friends. Am I that intriguing that they can stand to eat lunch with me for 30 minutes? And I don’t even want to talk about my self-doubt and plummeting confidence levels when I’m around a guy that I like. However, when I think about the question I’ve been asking myself for so long, “what makes me special?”, has a simpler answer than I thought. Everything. There is no one out there like me. Sure, there are people who are better than me at just about everything I do, but there’s no one out there who is participating in the exact combination of things that I do, no one has a mind that functions exactly like mine, not everyone shares my taste in music, or has my same ambitions and life goals. That’s what makes me special. Everything that drives me and motivates me, everything that makes up who I am. So yeah, I’m going to doubt myself, I’m going to ask what I could be doing better, but then I’ll remember that it doesn’t matter. I am who I am and I’m coming to grips with that. I’m learning to love who I am and I know that those who care about me do too.

All images sourced from Pexels

Karina is a senior majoring in Anthropology and Human Biology at Emory University, currenlty contemplating what to do with her life post-graduation. In her free time she enjoys spending too much time on instagram and pinterest, traveling, eating too much food, watching Indie movies on Netflix, and going to concerts of her favortite punk rock bands. Most likely doing all of this with a cup of coffee in her hand. 
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.