This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

The most difficult weeks of the semester always seem to hit when student morale is already low. When I’m down, the absolute worst feeling is another torrent of kicks to the stomach in the form of endless papers, readings, and the absolute worst demon of all— busywork.

Through all of this, I know I need to find a way to stay positive and productive. So I turn to one of the things that almost always has the capability to lift me up when the world is too heavy a burden to carry— music. More specifically, show-tunes!

My music taste is very broad, but I always tend to gravitate toward Broadway bops when I’m having intensely emotional days. For the sake of this article’s consistency, I’ll save the gut-wrenching, sad songs for another day. Today, I’m sharing a curated playlist of the best Broadway songs to uplift, inspire, and cheer you on through the race that is the rest of the semester— and rest assured— they’re pretty good for belting in the shower, too!

Enjoy!

1. “Right Hand Man”, Something Rotten

There’s no better place to start in this list than with a strong female role! Despite being set in the Renaissance, there’s nothing stopping her from playing the role of “Right Hand Man” to her (sometimes misguided) husband.

2. “Blankets and Bedding”, Come From Away

This song never fails to spur me from inaction into a mood to ~get stuff done~! “Blankets and Bedding” tells the story of a small town getting ready to receive thousands of international passengers from planes directed to Newfoundland after the 9/11 attacks.

3. “Anybody Have A Map?”, Dear Evan Hansen

I really love this one, despite not really have any reason to relate to it in my actual life. “Anybody Have A Map” is the peppy opening track to this otherwise gut-wrenchingly sad soundtrack. All the drama starts here, with two mothers struggling to connect to their teenage sons.

4. “Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now”, Hairspray

We couldn’t have a list of cheery Broadway bops without some 1960s influence, could we?  “Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now” is the insanely relatable song of some teenage girls trying to break away from their overbearing mothers— a story we’ve heard time and time again.

5. “Candy Store”, Heathers

We’re jumping from the 60s to the 80s now, with the musical edition of the cult classic Heathers. “Candy Store” is the opening and true introduction into the minds of a high school’s popular squad. Pretending to be mean has never been this much fun!

6. “Breathe”, In the Heights

This one always helps me calm down when I’m feeling stressed about something. In this song, we hear from Nina, who’s returning to her home neighborhood with the news that she’s had to drop out of college. She contemplates within whether she’s going to explain her predicament to her parents, or if she’ll maintain the facade that everything’s okay.

7. “Watch What Happens”, Newsies

This has been my all-time favorite Broadway song for YEARS. Katherine’s a reporter in 1899 during the famous newsboy strike, a time where girls didn’t get to write anything but letters to their lovers. Her character is everything I aspire to be and more.

8. “Totally F*cked”, Spring Awakening

Also known as the one to blast when nothing’s gone right– when the world seems to be caving into itself, and you’re somehow caught in the crossfire. Translation to college terms? You have three midterms worth 20% of your grade tomorrow that you’ve barely studied for, and two essays due the following day that you haven’t started.

9. “Death is Just Around the Corner”, The Addams Family

As morbid as it sounds, this one can actually make you feel a bit better about whatever situation you might be facing. As Morticia Addams puts it, “Death is Just Around the Corner”, and that fact in itself is enough to make her feel better. Crazy? Yes. Fun? Also, yes.

10. “Dancing Through Life”, Wicked

While Wicked itself is extremely well-known, this song from the soundtrack is an underrated gem when it comes to letting go and “Dancing Through Life”. It’s my go-to whenever I’ve had an especially tough day, and it also happens to be one of my life mantras!

So there you have it! Ten underrated Broadway bops to help you get through your next difficult week. After all, summer is just around the corner! Look forward to another list of Broadway songs coming soon— only this time, the sad, gut-wrenching ones.

Kailey Graziotto

Oxford Emory '20

Kailey Graziotto is a Second-Year Student at Oxford College of Emory University. She has been writing creatively and involving herself in various theatre programs since tenth grade. She is passionate about what she does, and looks forward to serving this year as one of HCOX's Campus Correspondents!
Jackie Doctor

Oxford Emory

My name is Jackie Doctor, and I'm a sophomore at the Oxford College of Emory University. I'm an Anthropology and Biology major on a pre-med track. I'm interested in pursuing a profession in Allied Health. I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, and Bob's Burgers, and I read, write, and play the ukelele in my spare time.