ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sylvia Plath’s “The Bell Jar”: A Thematic Analysis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

The Bell Jar is an autobiographical novel written by Sylvia Plath. Originally published under the pseudonym “Victoria Lucas”, The Bell Jar was the only novel Plath had written. The novel explores Plath’s trials, breakdowns, and road to recovery through the eyes of the novel’s protagonist, Esther Greenwood. Through tone, symbolism and imagery, Plath revisits the events that occurred in the summer and fall of her junior year in college. Plath utilizes these literary devices to highlight themes of madness, transformation and femininity. The Bell Jar follows the life of Esther Greenwood, a talented young woman and aspiring writer.

At the beginning of the novel, Esther travels to New York for a summer internship at Ladies Day magazine and to work for a prominent editor named Jay Cee. Rather than enjoying her time, Esther’s experiences in New York leave her both frightened and disoriented. She later returns to Massachusetts, where she slowly sinks into depression. After visiting a family doctor, she is referred to a local psychiatrist named Dr. Gordon. Esther takes an immediate disliking towards Dr. Gordon and remains uncooperative throughout the sessions. As a result, Esther undergoes electroconvulsive therapy, which leaves her traumatized, more dysfunctional and obsessive over suicide. She is later moved to a state mental hospital after several unsuccessful suicide attempts through slitting wrists, hanging, drowning, and overdosing on medication. With the help of Philomena Guinea, Esther’s college scholarship sponsor who also stayed in an asylum at one point in her life, Esther is able to move into a private hospital. Esther continues to improve under better conditions. The novel ends quite openly with Esther preparing herself for an interview to determine whether she can leave the hospital and return to college.

The themes of madness and transformation in the novel bring out a deep feeling of sadness, frustration and anger in the audience. Not everyone has spiraled into madness like Plath, but at some point, we have felt a degree of melancholy. The Bell Jar connects with the audience in this way, letting them understand such confusing emotions. Plath points out that everyone has a “bell jar” and through sheer determination, one can escape it. The theme of femininity empowers girls of all ages. Society today may be different from the 1950s, however, females are still held at certain expectations. Plath’s non-conforming gender views inspires girls and women alike to step out of their comfort zones and embrace their true selves.

The Bell Jar is a realistic, emotionally-gripping novel that explores Plath’s spiral into madness and her recovery from it. Plath’s novel effectively utilized several literary devices like tone, symbolism, and imagery to highlight key themes of madness, transformation, and femininity. Esther Greenwood is presented as a cynical, intelligent young woman who tried to break out of society’s expectations, but instead, broke herself in the process. Although she trapped herself in a dark place, she was able to free herself, lifting her “bell jar”.

Jackie Doctor

Oxford Emory

My name is Jackie Doctor, and I'm a sophomore at the Oxford College of Emory University. I'm an Anthropology and Biology major on a pre-med track. I'm interested in pursuing a profession in Allied Health. I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, and Bob's Burgers, and I read, write, and play the ukelele in my spare time.