Stop Trying to Look Cute @ Incoming Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Hi freshmen. Welcome to campus. I won’t pretend to know what you’re thinking, but at least for me, college was a world of uncertainty. Would I make friends? Would I get along with my roommate? Did high school actually prepare me for the academic rigor of a top university? These are all valid questions. These are things that are perfectly okay to worry about. What you shouldn’t worry about? What you wear. I really don’t know how to stress this enough. It does not matter what you actually wear to class (however, it is preferable that you at least wear some type of clothing, unless you are doing a sociology experiment).

For years, I have been incredibly perplexed as to why people sacrifice their sleep to get ready in the morning: hair, makeup, carefully crafted outfits. It truly boggles my mind. The craziest part is that I think no more highly of a person who looks like they have their life together, than I do of a person who clearly rolled out of bed. (As a frame of reference, I don’t get out of bed until 9:17 for my 9:30 class. And yes, I make it on time if you’re curious). The best thing about college is that people show up to class wearing everything from pajamas to suits. I would like to say I have equal respect for both, but honestly, I am way more into the jammies. Wear whatever floats your boat, but please don’t let your emotional well-being suffer at the expense of your appearance. Quite frankly, other people just don’t care what you look like. I have worn athletic shorts and t-shirts every day since being in college and I couldn’t imagine life any other way.

Don’t wear certain things because you are trying to be “cool.” Does anyone even know what that means? Here is my go-to guide: be comfortable. That’s literally it. Sweats, tees from random athletic events, dirty shoes, underwear that doesn’t get swallowed by your butt cheeks (T.M.I.?). College is your last chance to live before being a real-life adult. Trust me, you will have plenty of time to look presentable when working your 9-5. Take advantage of this time to look subpar. (Bonus points if you wear a groutfit).

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.