Shake It Up with Shakespeare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

I know a lot of people might roll their eyes and scoff at the idea, but a night out at the Shakespeare Tavern in Atlanta is a one-of-a-kind experience that I recommend to everyone in the Atlanta area. Instead of watching Netflix or going to the movies with your friends, mix it up! Go see a Shakespeare play! I went with my Shakespeare class to see the final performance of Much Ado About Nothing at the Shakespeare Tavern and my friends and I are already planning to return to see more plays there soon!

It is a fun experience to be seated in a reconstructed version of the architectural style common in Shakespeare’s time. The interior is decorated with wooden beams, royal crests, and portraits of Queen Elizabeth and Shakespeare himself! The Tavern also has a full menu of English fare to choose from! They had Shepherd’s Pie, Boeuf Bourgignon, Sandwiches, Stews, Panna Cotta, Root Beer Floats, Apple Crumble, and so much more (it wasn’t half bad either)!

The performance has a modern twist of humor that’s sure to get you to laugh at some point! The actors even interact with the audience on the floor so be prepared to get picked on! The show I saw might not be put on any longer but there are so many performances and plays to pick from. So, go gather a group of friends, look online at www.shakespearetavern.com to pick a performance date, and prepare to get some culture on!

All images sourced from the Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.