Parched: Female Economic Empowerment, Feminism, & Networks of Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Parched is a must-see for feminists, Indophiles, and foreign film fans. The film follows the lives and friendship of four women from the western Indian state of Gujarat. Parched tells of the power of female economic empowerment, feminism, and female networks of support. The film opens with the negotiation of the dowry for Janki, a beautiful fifteen-year-old girl with long, black hair, who is set to be a child bride. Rani, the widowed mother of Gulab, agrees to pay a hefty price for the dowry to ensure a happy future for her son.

Lajjo, Rani’s best friend, is childless and physically and verbally abused by her husband because she is considered barren. Lajjo selflessly obeys her husband’s every command and finds great comfort in Rani’s friendship. After the wedding ceremony and during the celebration, Rani’s friend, Bilji, an erotic dancer and prostitute, attends the party to congratulate Rani but is not kindly welcomed by her embarrassed friend.

Rani, who was formerly abused by her now deceased husband and is in constant servitude of her mother-in-law, seems to have an inner conflict for most of the movie. A part of her wants to mistreat Janki just as she, herself, was mistreated and reap the benefits of being a mother-in-law. Rani is conflicted by her feelings of feminism and female empowerment and societal perception. She cares a great deal about what the village people think of her and her family and does a great deal to conform to society’s expectations of her.

As a female head of household, she doesn’t have an abusive husband, but finds her son growing increasingly violent and abusive towards Janki, something she does not allow and leads to her son disowning her as his mother. Throughout the movie, the four women find strength and empowerment within their friendship and bond and ultimately prevail.

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Photo Credits – Image 1, Image 2

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.