A New Perspective on New Year’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

2016 was a shit show. If you escaped unscathed, consider yourself lucky. But the new year carves the way for us to “start fresh” or at least make ourselves feel like we are at a game-changing point when we can change ourselves for the better. At this point in the year, most people have their lists of resolutions; however, many people fail to follow through with them time and time again. In the hopes that you do not grieve over any premature failures in personal aspirations for the New Year, I’ve developed a list of ways that may help you stick to your resolutions:

1. Make your goals more specific and manageable.

“Eating healthier” for example is a frighteningly broad goal encompassing so many mini-goals that it is easy to get overwhelmed and avoid “eating healthier” altogether. Instead, consider identifying a few habits that will help you towards the larger goal. Maybe try to limit your Lil’s desserts to one a day or to eating a vegetable at every meal. Those goals may sound incredibly simple, but simple goals that you can accomplish are much more effective than broad ones that you give up on.

2.  Tell friends and family members about your resolutions.

Other people can offer another perspective on how to achieve your goals and keep you accountable for fulfilling them. 

3. Keep a journal of your progress.

This is especially relevant if your goal concerns personal growth. By keeping your thoughts on paper, you can better assess whether your actions are contributing to making yourself who you want to be.

4. Work with friends towards goals that you have in common.

My friend and I want to make time for ourselves outside of schoolwork, so we made a bucket-list together of all the fun activities we want to do. Having a buddy to accomplish your goals with can help keep you invested in your goals even when you lack motivation.

5. Change or drop goals that are no longer important to you.

Your priorities are going to change over the course of the year. If you have a goal that is no longer important to you, forget about it and make a goal that better aligns with your present priorities. Don’t waste energy on something you no longer care about!

Sydney Sumrall

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.