This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

They say I’ve moved on to bigger and better things, now. And I have, I won’t deny it. But that doesn’t make leaving home after break any easier.

I love Oxford, I really do. I love my classes, my professors, my friends… there’s so much about it that’s unique and unexpected. But visiting home and seeing my old high school, and all the people who made that part of my life special, like I did this week, brings back a wave of fond memories that I’m struggling to shake.

A lot of my peers at Oxford look back at their past educational experiences and have nothing positive to say. While I did go through a period of my life during which my desire to move on to college was like an itch I couldn’t scratch, when I look back now, I really do miss it sometimes. Not the tests or the essays or the homework, but the people.

This week, I spent a day visiting my old teachers, mentors, and peers, and went to a few events that were essentially the places I flourished as a leader not even a year ago. And despite having been away almost seven months, I was welcomed back with open arms. It was nice. Comfortable, even. It was a look at my past, where I was someone. I was introduced to members of the new freshman class as “the one who started the one-act play program”, or by similar legacies I left behind. And those younger students peppered me with questions about college and theatre and my experiences there.

As my friends take their turn graduating to the next stage of their lives, I know that my legacy will slowly be forgotten. That I will feel less and less like a part of me still belongs to my community at home. While that saddens me, I know that I will find communities at Oxford that I look back at just as fondly. And hopefully, one day, I’ll be remembered for doing something amazing in Oxford’s niche drama program, too.

Kailey Graziotto

Oxford Emory '20

Kailey Graziotto is a Second-Year Student at Oxford College of Emory University. She has been writing creatively and involving herself in various theatre programs since tenth grade. She is passionate about what she does, and looks forward to serving this year as one of HCOX's Campus Correspondents!
Edward Yin

Oxford Emory '21

I'm a Biology major with a prospective minor in Sociology. I like to sing, draw, and read in my spare time. If you have a passion for animals and a sweet tooth for Ariana Grande, I would love to have a chat with you over some Starbucks! Thank u, next.