How to Win Over Your Girlfriend’s Best Friend:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

A guy may think that the only girl he needs to worry about pleasing in the relationship is his girlfriend—wrong. But why bother trying to win over the best friend of your girlfriend too? Because a girl’s loved ones’ opinions of a guy mean a lot to her, no matter how much they should. The circle of your girlfriend’s loved ones typically includes her mom, her dad, her brother, her sister, and if she does not have a sister—guess what—her best friend’s opinion acts as her “sister’s” opinion in the circle of opinions that matter. A girl’s friend will tell her what she thinks of the guy her friend’s dating. Even if she does not state her disapproval outright, the friend can tell by reading her friend’s facial expressions and reactions to certain things said about the boyfriend if she approves of you or not. Needless to say, if the girlfriend’s best friend does not approve of you, that’s not exactly working in your favor and may even start a countdown as for the end of the relationship. If a girl’s friend is dating a man, this is who is competing with her for her friend’s time, so the guy better be a worthy adversary. You must prove to the girlfriend’s friend that you are a worthy opponent for her friend’s time and will not prove to be a complete waste of time for her friend. How to go about doing this, though? Let’s go over your list of possible tactics and MOs, shall we? One possible way to go about doing this is if bringing your girlfriend a snack or two, bring one over for her friend as well, maybe. This will make the friend feel less left out and more included in the relationship. Plus, what person doesn’t like getting food? Unless they’re allergic to it, that is…so make sure you know not only what your girlfriend is allergic to, but also what her friend is allergic to, as well, because if you give the friend a snack that she happens to be allergic to, then she may begin to believe you really are only trying to get her further out of the picture by making her ill or killing her. Another way you can go about trying to make your girlfriend’s friend approve of you is to make her aware of nice things you are planning for her friend, asking the friend for her insight into these romantic or endearing plans. You should also offer to take your girlfriend and her friend out after a stressful day or so, getting the two ice-creams or some other nice treats the two girls prefer. And when it comes to the friend of your girlfriend having a birthday, you should probably do something for that friend’s birthday, just making sure not to do something that outdoes what you did for your girlfriend’s birthday, of course. If you want this relationship to be serious and can see it as a long-term thing, then a good way to show this to your girlfriend is making an effort to make her friends, or those she loves, like you. Everyone loves food, so if all these other tactics fail you, remember that giving the friend food is probably a safe bet—just make sure to bring your girlfriend some food, too! Food is always a good tactic to use in order to win over your girlfriend’s friend and make her a member of your relationship’s fan club.

So as for a rough overview of the battle plan…

Plan A) Bearing food

Plan B) Treating girlfriend and friend after a stressful day

Plan C) Ask friend for insight into sweet ideas planned for girlfriend (makes her aware of your love for her friend)

Plan D) Celebrate friend’s birthday without equaling or beating the celebration of your girlfriend’s birthday

Plan E) Show effort to make friend and loved ones like you to show level of investment into relationship 

Student at Emory University, Student Instructor for Poli Sci, Founding Staff Writer for Emory Political Review, Staff Writer for HerCampus