Life > Academics

How Long Until Affirmative Action Ends?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Affirmative action is a procedure that was created in the 1960’s to help underrepresented groups of people gain education and employment. In a world riddled with racist ideologies that were thought of as normal, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.

One has to normalize the idea of groups that were traditionally separated, can now interact with one another in harmony. Fast forward to 2017, and the world has a new movement that calls for the acceptance of everyone, no matter who they are or what they believe: the Social Justice Movement.

There is still racism and sexism in the world, no doubt, but America has come a long way from the 1960’s. It does beg the question of the necessity of programs like Affirmative Action. I’m not suggesting a complete repeal, but perhaps a lessening of its effect.

The program was created to combat bigotry, so as the Americans become more accepting, the program should slow be removed. Forcing businesses and schools to fill a quota of minorities when they have no prejudice is not equality. I do not want to get hired for a job or rejected from a job because of my race, sex or sexuality; I want to get hired because of my ability to do the job and if someone else can do it better they should get the job. Affirmative Action combats preferential treatment of the majority with preferential treatment of minorities, but in a true meritocracy, neither of these exist.

All images sourced from Pexels