diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Rid of a Stalker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

I sometimes have to look to both sides of me to make sure I’m not being filmed for reality TV when random, odd things happen to me. Stalking, for instance—who knew it’s not a normal thing that doesn’t happen to everybody! Seriously, someone start paying me for my own reality TV show at this point because if I’m getting this sort of drama, I’m going to want to get paid for it.

First, I’ll point out something that may already be apparent—don’t encourage it by interacting with them. If you start conversing with them, they may feel an approval of sorts by you for their stalking behavior, like: “Oh, she’s talking to me! I’m getting somewhere!” Engaging them in conversation may only serve to give them this false approval in their heads for what they’re doing and encourage their behavior.

If the stalker is someone you know, block them from your social media. Don’t let them see what’s going on in your life—you’re giving them what they want if you do. Distance yourself from your stalker, if already known to you as a friend or so. This point goes along with the “Don’t engage them in conversation” point. Walk with people if your harsh academic life allows you any time at all to even have friends as people to walk with. You don’t want to be alone with your stalker. That’s how you end up on one of those murder shows or in a news story about a missing girl and when she was last seen by friends and family.

Have someone with you if you believe someone’s stalking you, whether you consider them a friend or an absolute stranger. I’ll also go ahead and point out the obvious tip that has been advertised for what feels like decades—have pepper spray with you. Also, make sure it’s not pointed at you when you spray it! If you don’t have pepper spray, carry some tabasco sauce to splash in their eyes—just kidding, of course (what can I say is you got to have a sense of humor in life or else the seriousness of life will crush you).

If the stalking is freaking you out so much that you are scared to leave your dorm or apartment and distancing yourself from the person isn’t deterring him or her from stalking you, go the legal route and get a restraining order against them.

Student at Emory University, Student Instructor for Poli Sci, Founding Staff Writer for Emory Political Review, Staff Writer for HerCampus
Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.