This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Fall graduates really get the short end of the stick. And no, I’m not just saying that because I am one. If you graduate in the fall, you miss the opportunity to walk with the rest of your class (even though you could return if you’re okay waiting for your degree), the celebration with your family, friends, and professors all in one place, and graduation season (when the whole world seems to celebrate graduates and sell relevant cakes, balloons, and exclusive deals). That doesn’t even cover the challenge of transitioning from the Oxford campus to Atlanta mid-year.

With the end of the fall semester upon us, the excitement and eagerness for the next chapter may be tempered by the realization that in order to move on to the next chapter, this one has to end. It’s okay to be sad about saying goodbye, especially if you thought graduating would be no big deal. Even if you do come back to visit, it won’t be the same, and you may not see everyone who has shaped your Oxford experience in one place again.

Such is life: the one constant that changes. So if you have a chance before you leave, take a tour of your favorite places on campus, thank your professors, and hug your friends. Celebrate what you love about our crazy intense school, and then celebrate the fact that you’ve made it through. The fact of the matter is, graduations are a big deal and graduating from Oxford, in particular, is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Most important of all, remember that graduating from Oxford doesn’t mean college is over. If you feel like you missed out on some vital college experience, you still have time to give it a shot, with the whole Atlanta campus at your disposal. And whenever you want a hit of nostalgia … well, Oxford is only an hour to an hour-and-a-half shuttle ride away.

Photo Credit: Mary Elisabeth Hillerich

Mary Elisabeth is a junior at Emory University, majoring in English and Creative Writing. She is currently studying abroad in England.
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.