Get to Know: Mawuko Kpodo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Hello Oxford peeps!! I’ve got another person for you all to get to know this week, but I’ve got a feeling that most of you already know her very well! She’s a sophomore here at Oxford College and I’m very excited to introducte Mawuko Kpodo to you all as our newest HC Profile! 

HC: Can you introduce yourself a bit?

MK: My name is Mawuko Kpodo but I think it’s safe to say everyone calls me Momo. I was born in Ghana, Africa. I’m a military brat so I’ve moved around a little bit. First, Huntsville Alabama, then Sicily, Italy, and for right now, home is Loganville, Georgia, about half an hour away from Oxford. I’m in my second year here at Oxford and I plan to major in anthropology and spread my activist spirit all over the place.

HC: How did you find yourself coming to Oxford College?

MK: I applied to Emory University and forwarded my application to Oxford when prompted. It was the best decision I’ve ever made. While I made have my critiques, I wouldn’t trade my Oxford experience for the world. I have become the person I never knew I was hoping to be. The friendships I’ve developed, the mentors who have willingly listened to my crazed musings, and the conversations I’ve had at 3am with incredible people have shaped me into the person that I am and I’ve very happy to be here at Oxford.

HC: Since you’re one of the RA’s at Oxford, what’s your favorite thing about the position?  

MK: My favorite thing about the position is the relationship all of the RAs have. We are a tight knit community and we care about each other. I have 32 best friends, supporters, and cheerleaders. Besides the relationships I’ve developed with my residents, my fellow staff members make the job worth every stressful minute.

HC: You’re involved in a lot of activities and clubs on campus, but is there one in particular that you enjoy?

MK: BSA has become my home. Every Monday night is a chance to be with people who are not afraid to disagree, who exude love and tolerance, who aspire to grow, and who make Oxford a beautiful place to be. Every person who comes to a BSA meeting or supports the black community in any way here at Oxford has a special place in my heart.

HC: I’ve taken photos with you and you run a pretty awesome Instagram if I may say so. What’s your photography style like?

MK: LOL. Wow thank you, that’s really sweet. I’m really interested in people. Judging from my Instagram right now it seems like I’m only interested in myself, but I love candids. I’ve sort of gotten the title of candid queen somewhere along the way. I love to photograph people in their element, when they’re the most happy, the most themselves. I think people are the most beautiful in that way.

HC: You’ve been a part of many things at Oxford recently like the BSA vigil and the new, but is there one activity that you will remember forever?

MK: I will never forget the BSA vigil. I was touched by all the love I felt that night. The entire event was awe-inspiring. I was filled with hope. And for that, I am grateful to all of those who participated and to every student, faculty member, staff member, and community member who came out to stand in solidarity with us. Love is a powerful thing and the vigil was overflowing with love.

HC: So what is your position at the Oxford Spokesman, and what can you tell me about the newspaper?

MK: I am the editorial editor of the Oxford Spokesman. Last year I started out as an entertainment staff member, but my articles were less about entertainment, and more about discussing the issues that were most important to me. As an editorial editor I am in charge making sure editorial articles are interesting, fact filled, and personal to the writer in some way. I am not the kind of editor to discourage anybody from writing about their topic of choice. I believe in the freedom to choose a path and stick to it. I hope that is reflected in the stories that are featured in the editorial section of the paper.

HC: Okay, now I’m going to do a quick fire round with you!! I hope you’re ready for it! Film or Digital Camera?

MK: I’m 100% a digital camera type of girl.

HC:  Hawaii or New York City?

MK: New York City. It is an iconic city. I could never turn down the opportunity to visit.

HC: Graduation tomorrow with no job for 2 years or graduate in 2 years with a job immediately?

MK: I would graduate in two years. Not because of the job, but because I love learning. I love being in the classroom. I want to be a student forever.

HC:  Politics or Humanitarian Aid?

MK: Humanitarian aid. I am too much of an activist to be in politics. I am bleeding heart and I doubt that I could stomach the job of a politician.

HC:  Telepathy or Flying?

MK: Flying definitely. This question reminds me of a poem I love. It’s called “falling and flying.” It is about Icarus and how people seem to overlook the point of the story, which is that he flew. He fell, yes, but Icarus also flew. “But anything worth doing is worth doing badly.” I took this question in a completely different direction but this poem is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever read. “I believe Icarus was not failing as he fell, but just coming to the end of his triumph.”

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.