Get to Know: Jaelaan Gore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Welcome to the first profile for the new Oxford College of Emory University! We love to showcase our fellow Oxfordians from the school here, so why don’t we start off with a student? I’m happy to introduce to you all Jaelaan Gore!

HC: So Jaelaan, how did you end up at Oxford?

JG: So my Mom mentioned Emory in the 10th grade, but I really didn’t want to go there since my Mom works there. At the end of the 11th, the haze over college receded and it all got very real. I took the time to research and found out that Emory was kind of cool. I visited both campuses, but felt more at home on the Oxford campus. I applied to both schools and got accepted here and here I am! I love the small community was great and being 15 minutes away from home is always good.

HC: What is your major?

JG: Pre-Business or Organizational Psychology!

HC: What is your best memory from Oxford?

JG: Probably the night I met my friends! At the beginning of the year, I had a lot of the same friends as my roommate, which is good, but at the same time, I need to expand a bit. I was quiet and reserved, but I actually kindled a friendship with someone I met at the acceptance day. I saw her in the bookstore once and felt instantly comfortable and myself. That Friday night, I went to hang out with her and some other people and we just clicked. We ended up having a mini sleepover, and it felt like I found the right people. Friends for life.

HC: Do you have any advice for incoming freshmen or people considering Oxford?

JG: Talk to people. I love Oxford so much, but many people might not feel the same, but it’s necessary to get a wide range of views on a school. Everyone has a different experience, so there are always people who have been in your boat. Whether you want to talk about the application process, majors, or other experiences, people can be a big resource. I always try to extend myself as much as possible whether that’s offering advice, or pointing someone in the right direction!

HC: Do you have a professor on campus who you really look up to and admire?

JG: Dr. McGehee is definitely my favorite professor on campus! I took her Southern Women’s Literature Class last fall ( by the way it’s being offered this year as well!) She’s so passionate about her profession and honestly, she cares so much about her students. I remember her being someone that I could genuinely talk to outside of class, and after she heard about the passing of one of our classmates this summer, she reached out to us and opened her home to us. She is the person you can come to her office and talk about life, school, and friends. She’s just a great person, overall!   

HC: Best things about going to main campus next year?

JG: Meeting more black people and having more opportunities in Atlanta on main campus, bot academically and socially). I’m also looking forward to more of a common college, because Oxford is good for adjusting but now it’s time to move on.

HC: It you could have one super power what would it be and why?  

JG: I would like to have the ability to help people feel better after they come to me with a problem. When people share their problems with me, I’d like to make people feel better, which is better than talking, but I’ll know that they feel better in the long run!

HC: Now on to our rapid fire section!! Costume vs. Trick or Treating?

JG: Trick or Treating

HC: Star Wars Vs. Star Trek?

JG: Star Wars

HC: Coke or Pepsi?

JG: Coke

HC: Desert Island vs. World’s Most Luxury Hotel

JG: Desert Island

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.