Get to Know: Eptesam Sufiyan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

It’s always a special day when I get to introduce the Oxford community to a friend of mine! This week’s profile is on Eptesam Sufiyan, a current sophomore and a good friend of mine! 

HC: Can you introduce yourself a bit?

ES: My name is Eptesam Sufiyan. I am currently a sophomore at Oxford College of Emory University.

HC: How did you find yourself coming to Oxford College?

ES: Well, as a senior in high school, I went on a few college visits and none of the colleges I visited felt like a good fit for me until I visited Oxford College. It was just one of those things where everything kind of fell into place and it became the only choice for me.

HC: How smooth was the transition between high school and Oxford?

ES: I think it was a little rough at first. As a first generation college student, I really did not know what to expect especially in terms of classes and expectations. Also, this college was smaller than high school I attended which makes the dynamics of the culture and social life a bit different. (I mean it’s kind of weird seeing the same people all the time and not even being able to go to the bathroom without someone knowing). But like with everything that happens in life, I adjusted and even came to love this place. I’ve met some incredible people during my time here and made some amazing friends. I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

HC: You were involved in the Pierce Service Corps last semester. What was that experience like?

ES: Simply incredible. I got the opportunity to work at Washington Street, which is an afterschool program tailored to kids of a background much like my own. I love my kids. I’ve been working with the same group of students for almost two years now and it’s so incredible to see how they grow. Also, I get to work with some of the most passionate people, and it’s really just one of those inspiring experiences that make you want to continue to give back in any way you can.

HC: Congrats on getting into the Nursing school! Do you think that Oxford has thoroughly prepared you for what is in store?

ES: Yeah, I don’t think anything could prepare anyone for the challenges that come with pursuing a degree in Nursing. I think I saw on Facebook the other day that Nursing holds the world record for toughest undergraduate degree one can pursue. I do not know how accurate that is since it’s Facebook but needless to say, nursing is not easy.

HC: What’s the one class at Oxford that you think all freshmen/sophomores should take? What made your experience so special?

ES: Anthropology of Gender with Dr. DeNicola is probably the best class I have ever taken. As a woman, I felt like it gave me the validation and the words to express my experiences as a woman. Also, it’s just one of those classes where everything is pertinent and can be related to your own life and experiences. I find myself in a lot of classes asking myself “What’s the point in even learning this? Will I ever use the information I learned here in life?” I have never asked that question during my time in that class. I highly recommend it.

Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.