Five Simple Ways to Relieve Your Stress and Study More Effectively

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

As the last few weeks of the semester gradually creep upon us, there is a decent chance that you are either stressing about your upcoming final exams or having to complete an abundance of research papers and projects all at once. While exercising proper time management and prioritizing your studies throughout the entire semester ensure academic success, here are several quick, simple ways to alleviate your stress levels and make studying more bearable!

1. Meditate

Contrary to popular belief, individuals don’t have to be well versed in the topics of spirituality in order to engage in mindful meditation, although maintaining a positive attitude can drastically enhance your outlook on life and provide you with sufficient motivation to study. By setting aside several minutes each day to unwind, de-stress from studying, and clear your mind, you will not only become more relaxed but also develop a newfound optimism that will improve your mental health. 

2. Use Essential Oils

Essential oils are excellent to utilize for various purposes. On top of smelling absolutely amazing, certain essential oils also have properties that enable them to enhance our physical and mental wellbeing. Lavender, for instance, is one of the most widely used essential oils. Its soothing aroma induces relaxation and triggers deep sleep among those who smell it. It is the perfect oil for anyone who is struggling to restore their circadian rhythm or merely wants to feel more calm. Lemon essential oil, which is another one of my favorites, is also beneficial for enhancing one’s energy levels and overall mood. I highly recommend purchasing an essential oil diffuser in order to diffuse these scents in your surroundings and reap their benefits as much as possible. 

3. Stay Organized

As simple as it sounds, being organized can make a significant difference in preparing for final exams. Make sure to own a notebook or folder for each class and keep all of your notes for that particular subject inside of it. Adding dates to all of the assignments, homework problems, and notes that you have for a certain subject will also make studying its content in chronological order much easier. Don’t fall behind in performing either of these tasks; your future self will thank you tremendously! 

4. Maintain a Healthy Diet

Although every food product you consume doesn’t necessarily have to be healthy, it’s crucial for the majority of the food you eat to offer some form of nutritional value. Nourishing your body in general is vital; I cannot overemphasize this. It is difficult to focus on your studies if you are constantly starving, so listen to your body and make sure to grab a snack or visit Lil’s if you’re hungry. 

5. Get Enough Sleep

Sleeping for fewer hours does not equate to higher grades or academic performance by any means. It is oftentimes difficult for students, especially ones at colleges as academically rigorous as Oxford College of Emory University, to realize this. Whenever I go to bed early and wonder if I’m pushing myself hard enough academically, I like to remind myself that the disadvantages of sleep deprivation significantly outweigh the benefits (because it’s true). More often than not, not getting enough sleep leads to both physical and mental exhaustion the following day. In the long run, individuals who are sleep deprived are more likely to develop an array of medical conditions that negatively impact their health, as well. Needless to say, it’s incredibly important to get sufficient rest. Getting enough sleep will give you the brain power and physical energy you need to survive morning lectures and successfully get through each school day.

Ximena Bejarano

Oxford Emory '22

Oxford 2020 | Emory 2022
Jackie Doctor

Oxford Emory

My name is Jackie Doctor, and I'm a sophomore at the Oxford College of Emory University. I'm an Anthropology and Biology major on a pre-med track. I'm interested in pursuing a profession in Allied Health. I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, and Bob's Burgers, and I read, write, and play the ukelele in my spare time.