A First-Year’s Guide to Creating Your Schedule (Pre-Med Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Creating your course schedule for your very first semester at Oxford can be a pain. Signing up for classes during orientation week will be a bloodbath. It’ll be stressful, anxiety-inducing, and nerve-wracking. Some students will end up with questionably perfect schedules, while others won’t be as fortunate. Here are some tips to help you get the classes you want and to create your perfect schedule for a successful first semester.

1. Chem 150 or Bio 141QW is #1 on your list!

Before registering for your courses, you’ll have the opportunity to add courses to your “shopping cart” on OPUS. Include Chem 150 AND Bio 141QW in your shopping cart. The first enrollment session only allows you to sign up for 9 credits. Chem 150 and Bio 141 are 5 credit courses, which means that you’ll only be able to choose one during the first session. I highly suggest taking Chem 150 before Bio 141 because it’ll help you balance out your schedule during your sophomore year. If Chem 150 has no slots left, be prepared to enroll in Bio 141.

2. Take a Q course your first semester (or your first year, in general!)

INQ (inquiry-based), or “Q”, courses are extremely important. Most first-year students overlook the Q course, and tend to leave it for their sophomore years. Don’t wait until your last semester to take your Q courses. Taking a Q course (or two) during your first semester at Oxford will leave you with an amazing schedule during your sophomore year. You need three Q courses to graduate, so get those done as soon as you can. You don’t want to stress yourself out during your last semester when you’re taking Bio 142 and Orgo (Organic Chemistry).

3. Aim for at least one HAP or HSC .

Like Q courses, you don’t want to leave these hanging. Take at least one HAP or HSC during your first semester. You’re free to explore any course you find interesting; however, if you want to take higher-level science courses as soon as possible (and if you’re thinking about graduating early), then consider taking an intro Psychology, Anthropology, or Sociology course.

4. Taking a PE course your first semester is completely optional.

Don’t sweat it. You’ll do fine without one during your first semester.

5. Learn to Lead is a MUST

Interested in becoming an RA, PAL, or iMentor? Take Learn to Lead! It’s a great class taught by PALs and faculty & staff members. It’s also a mandatory class for students who want to apply for some leadership positions on campus.

Jackie Doctor

Oxford Emory

My name is Jackie Doctor, and I'm a sophomore at the Oxford College of Emory University. I'm an Anthropology and Biology major on a pre-med track. I'm interested in pursuing a profession in Allied Health. I'm a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Parks and Rec, and Bob's Burgers, and I read, write, and play the ukelele in my spare time. 
Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.