absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Expand your Horizons: Be Diverse!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Tacos, a dish that is associated with everything and anyone who has a Hispanic heritage. Ever heard of tostones? In English, they are known as Fried Plantains a side dish originally from the Caribbean cuisine. Any clue of what Pepián is? It is considered Guatemala’s national dish: a meaty, spicy stew. All these food references are purposely brought up to consider the different nationalities of the Hispanic community. Hispanics are not just Mexicans, as the rice and bean stereotype suggests. This ethnicity is composed of several countries, all of which share similarities but have their own characteristics.

If the plates previously mentioned don’t ring a bell, then it’s probably because you have not been completely exposed to what Hispanic means. Personally, I come from a town that is predominantly Mexican, so coming into college was like removing a blindfold. I made friends from Colombia, Venezuela, and Guatemala and through daily conversations (and even the first time we spoke) I realized the variation. Each of my friends had a unique accent, a different way of saying straw in Spanish, and different main dishes. Hispanics are grouped into one, but since when do large groups have no originality or uniqueness?

It is important to realize diversity among ethnicities to fully understand differences among nation and ease collaboration and communication between people. Learning about other cultures and breaking through the stereotypes is only possible if people experience it on their own, by meeting others and sharing, or hearing, their stories. Obviously, there are several differences between cultures; however, the challenge isn’t to change your culture, it’s simply education and respecting other’s values. We must learn to understand each other and facilitate communication across groups with differences.

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.