Environmental Policies in Djibouti

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

In a special interview with Saida Kamil, the daughter of Prime Minister Abdoulkader Kamil Mohamed, she mentioned that water is the main problem. Freshwater is very scarce and the sea levels are rising due to climate change. The drinkable water is becoming contaminated by salt and by pollution, lessening the already scarce drinkable water. 

Although there are laws based on the environment, they are not enforced due to other economic issues that are seen as more important. However, they did create maritime laws which banned overfishing; But I think they did so for economic reasons to not ruin their market if extinction occurred. Coal is the main energy source but because more people are using electricity, the system is overheating, hence the blackouts. They are trying to switch to solar power, which is very expensive and therefore making the transition slow.

There is only one single pick-up waste, which only some families take part in. There are no courses on the environment, and only 70% of the population is literate, making it difficult to inform the public on issues and solutions. There are no green products, solar panels, or electric cars because they are too expensive for the government and the population. Plastic bags are used for free, but people do use buses and trains.

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.