Coffee Vs. Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

1.      Caffeine Content

A single 8-ounce cup of coffee typically has between 80 and 185 milligrams of caffeine. An 8-ounce cup of tea usually has between 15 and 70 milligrams of caffeine.

2.      Types

There are so many to choose from! For coffee you can have drip coffee, espresso, brewed, instant, decaf brewed, or decaf instant in a whole bunch of roasts and flavors. For tea, there are endless combinations of leaves including White Tea, Green Tea, Oolong Tea, Black/Red Tea, Yellow Tea, and Kukicha!

3.      Additions

People traditionally add milk and sugar to coffee, but recent trends for coffee additions have included butter and coconut oil! Let’s not forget all the sweet sauces, creamers, whipped cream, and chocolate chips that you can add to iced or ice-blended coffee! Tea is typically served with milk, sugar, and honey which are always a great way to soothe a sore throat or to relax!

4.      Largest Consumers

Most coffee drinkers live in a fast-paced lifestyle in the United States whereas tea drinkers are mostly in India, China, Japan, and the United Kingdom!

5.      Health Benefits

There have been many studies on the effects of coffee on the body mostly with conflicting results. Some studies say that coffee is good for you, but some studies say just the opposite. Tea, however, is known to contain tannin and catechin which have been associated with preventing cancer and heart diseases!

So, which will you choose to get your caffeine fix?

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!