8 Signs That You’re a Workaholic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

1. Your Work Comes First

No series premiere, concert, movie, dinner party, scrimmage, or date is going to keep you from completing a project! You tend to be late for weekday adventures as a result!

2. You Work During Meals

Your time is precious, and the deadline isn’t getting any further away, so you spend your meals dribbling over your laptop and notepad as your forge ahead with whatever tasks you have on hand.

3. Your Hobbies Are Your Work

Your obsession with work eats away at your time, so when someone asks you about your hobbies, you probably reply with “reading” or “working out!”

4. You Sacrifice Your Health for Your Work 

Exercise, regular meals, sleep, and doctor appointments all come after you feel satisfied with your work…BUT

5. You’re a Perfectionist

Perfectionists rarely know when to quit so you are almost never satisfied with your work which leads to constant stress and obsession about your various projects. It is also likely that you put in longer hours which probably means you’re the first one in and the last one out!

6. You Never Say “No.”

You never want to disappoint or let go of an opportunity, so you never tell your boss or your colleagues, “No.” You are always readily available to tackle a new challenge or task. 

7. Your Phone is Your Fifth Limb

You need to feel connected and available to contribute whenever and wherever you are. You live at the mercy of that text tone informing you of your next favor or project. 

8. You are Always at Work

Even when you’re not at your desk, your work creeps its way into your thoughts. Most of your conversations, worries, goals, accomplishments, and day-to-day happenings revolve around your work.

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!