5 Tips on Room Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

It happens to the best of us. Sometimes, things just don’t work out with your roommate and you need a change! Well when it comes to room changes, I’ve got 5 tips to help make the day go smoother!

1. Getting There at 8am On the Day of Room Change

There are only a few rooms for people to switch into, especially if you’re trying to find a completely vacant room. Getting there right at 8am for the first drawing means that you have higher chances of getting chosen, meaning you’re more likely to get a room. But it is early, so make sure you wake up on time (as well as your preferred roommate, since you both need to be there).

1. Think Ahead About Where You Want to Move

Although there aren’t many room choices, there will be some in all buildings, so plan ahead about where you want, or do NOT want, to move. For example, if moving into JRC is a dealbreaker for you, let your future roommate know in advance, and be prepared to give up your spot if there are only rooms in the JRC left.

1. Start Moving Right Away

If you’re as lazy as I am, it might take you a few days to move everything out of your old room, so I suggest starting right away. By doing so, you’ll be able to take your time and make sure you don’t forget anything in your old room. I had to go to target multiple times to buy things for my new room in order to put things from my old room away, so it took me a long time to move.

1. Get Friends to Help

I can’t stress how important this is. You can’t carry everything out of your old room into your new room (especially if moving out of JRC into East Village) by yourself; having multiple people helping you will speed up the process of moving and will make it less tiring for you.

1. Try to Borrow a Cart from Candler or the Mail Center

If you have anything overly heavy, such as a minifridge or a safe, you’ll want a cart to help you bring it to your room. Having a car is as helpful, but harder to get if you and your friends don’t have one on campus. Carrying everything by hand means that you’ll be taking one thing at a time, and it will be heavier, so you’ll waste time and energy.

All images sourced from Pexels

Writing for Her Campus, alongside being the Senior Editor of the Emory chapter, strengthens my creativity and ability to teach others. It spills into my professional life by emphasizing my capabilities to motivate, inspire, and learn from my peers.
Jordan Chapman

Oxford Emory

Jordan Chapman is a visual art and international studies major with a French minor at Emory University. As a second year student, she's incredibly busy, but when you add jetsetting and writing a blog (in addition to a Youtube channel), her life is more busy than you may think. When she isn't watching Stranger Things or writing blog posts, she's in class or sending emails, with the dream of being the next big editor or fashion blogger. As a future London expat and wanderlust victim, she visits the land across the pond quite frequently along with many other places in Europe frequently, just hoping that life will take her somewhere fun and exciting.