4 Ways to Salvage Your Grade Mid-Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

We’ve all had semesters that have been hard, be it your first semester as a college student or a semester that you just weren’t feeling at the time. Finals are right around the corner, and you just have to pull up your socks and try to make up for all your missed opportunities. You may not be able to get 4.0’s in any of your classes anymore, but even a little raise in your GPA is better than none at all. 

Here are four ways to raise your GPA mid-semester, when all else fails:

1.          Start with a Blank Slate

With midterms out of the way, you have no pressures and starting with a blank slate will give you the clarity and focus that you need if you butchered your midterms.

2.          Go to Office Hours

Professors are always happy to help so expressing your concern and enthusiasm to do better is only going to go one way- a good way. So, go to office hours, ask questions, and ask for more study material. It will make you more invested in your studies and your professor more invested in your academic career. They might also give you some extra credit questions if you’re lucky!

3.          Make Study Groups

The best way to study hands down is with a study group. There will always be people taking a class with you who struggle the same way you do and reaching out to them for help can be beneficial for you and them both. Some students are stronger in a few topics, and the others might be stronger with the remaining ones. Studying in a group can help you learn more and have various perspectives on topics.

4.          Treat Sample Tests Like Mock Tests

Knowing your weakness in the subject is going to help you prepare better for the finals. Take all the tests provided to you as mock tests and set the timers and sharpen your pencils. Sit in silence for the prescribed amount of time and be sincere, it is only going to help you.

5.          Do Everything That Could Be Potential Credit

Extra credit is a godsend. Go for classes and do assignments that enhance your grade. Trust me; even three points can change your grade!

Hope this helps you lovely readers! #Thereisalwayshope

Emily Macdonald

Oxford Emory '18

As a Political Science Major and a French Minor, I have big dreams of making a positive difference in the world. In 2017, I had the incredible honor of being named Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at the Oxford College of Emory University alongside Marine Bruno. Although I graduated from Oxford College, I will always have fond memories of my time with Her Campus. Even as I move on to a new phase in my life, I look forward to watching Her Campus at Oxford Emory grow!