20 Things I've Learned at 20

So I turned 20 last week. And for some reason, it felt like a chapter of my life was closing. But in a way, it is; I’m not going to be a teenager anymore. I’ve spent the past few weeks reflecting on my life and on what I’ve learned thus far. And I thought it would be interesting to share my top twenty lessons: 

1. Spend time with people who make you smile. Don’t always worry about having the perfect friend group, but find people who you just enjoy being around 

2. Be spontaneous every once in a while 

3. Treat your mind well through the practice of meditation and mindfulness 

4. Go outside more 

5. Treat yourself! (Even when you feel like you don’t deserve a treat) 

6. If you meet someone who likes The Office, you will probably become friends 

7. Take time to enjoy the process of things (making coffee, writing a letter, making a playlist, etc.) 

8. Minimize your time on the phone. 

9. Try to read for fun—even if you can only manage a few pages per night 

10. Short term happiness is important too—don’t always be concerned with the future 

11. Social media is an easy way to lower your mood; if you delete your account, you won’t miss a thing 

12. It’s okay to ask for help and be willing to provide help to others 

13. Try to be the person you needed when you were younger 

14. Staying busy is great but also give yourself a break every once in a while 

15. Don’t be afraid to be passionate about something and to share your passion with others 

16. Self-care is when you truly enjoy simply hanging out with yourself 

17. Being different and unique is a good thing and you will find people who you can be yourself around 

18. Food is a wonderful thing and will always be a mood-booster 

19. Change can be really hard and takes time to get used to 

20. Enjoy life! Time flies and you don’t want to be caught always worrying about what comes next