Life > Experiences

You’ve Finished Writing a First Draft – Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Writing a novel, short story, poem, or even a paper for class can be burdensome for anyone. There are some days it takes me over an hour to write something that usually only takes me thirty minutes. But when that last sentence is exchanged from mind onto paper, there is no better feeling. Many people think that’s where the writing ends, but many times drafts need to go through a couple more steps before they become a finished story or paper. 

Let It Sit

Once you finish your paper go do something else – seriously. If you have the time to let a paper or story sit without looking at it, do so. It allows not only your brain to rest, but the words on the paper as well. Coming back to the paper within a few days, or even weeks, allows you to look at the writing with fresh eyes and pick up on mistakes that would not have been noticed before. 

Read It Out Loud

Now this may sound a little silly, but it really does help. Not only do you hear your words out loud, but it gives your brain another way to process the information on the page and see whether it cohesively flows together or not. I mostly do this with poems, because each word has a lot of importance, and many times I do find inconsistencies within my writing by reading it out loud. 

Having Someone Else Read It

This is my favorite way to get feedback for anything I write. Not only do you get to see the visceral reaction someone else has to reading your words, but they have a completely unbiased opinion concerning the subject matter on the page. They have not spent hours pouring over the same words, or pages like you have. All they know is you, and eventually, they will know about your writing as well. I constantly ask for feedback, whether it’s from fellow students, professors, or even my mother. I would highly recommend joining a writing group, or finding three to four people willing to read your stories whenever they are completed. It’s worth it.

Edit With A New Lens

So, you’ve spent a few days away from your writing, given it to someone else to read, and read it out loud. This is where the real fun begins – editing and revising. The part where mediocre, sometimes jumbled stories become great. The best thing to do at this point is try to look subjectively at your writing, almost as if it’s not yours. This allows your mind to think of possibilities that might not have occurred to you the first time you wrote out the story. I would also suggest printing out the story and handwriting edits alongside your previous writing, so you can see the bigger picture. Personally, I like using a brightly colored pen so I can see the difference, and you’re not deleting any writing to put something new in, like you would within a word document. 

These are just some of the tips and tricks that I use when I write. Obviously, many other options exist, and finding what works best for you is part of the process. So, put your pencil or fingers to paper or keys, respectively, and write. Remember – you’ll never have anything to edit if you don’t write anything first. 

Alexandria is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego, majoring in Creative Writing with minors in English and History. She has been published in four different literary journals: The Great Lake Review, Gandy Dancer, Zenith Literary Magazine and Planisphere Q. When not writing she loves listening to music, or reading a book on a rainy day.