This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

If you’re a college student (or just a young person in general), you’re probably aware of the deep importance surrounding Halloween. Besides the fact that it’s the best time of the year, millennials able to combine two of their favorite things: Being spooky and going out. This year, Her Campus Oswego even has your Halloween party playlist covered! Check out these 10 songs and make sure to add them to your Spotify playlist before someone passes you the aux.

1. Seven Wonders – Fleetwood Mac

There have been witchcraft rumors circulating Stevie Nicks for decades now, and regardless of whether or not it’s actually true, Nicks appeared on American Horror Story: Coven back in 2013 to perform this classic Fleetwood Mac song. Ever since then, “Seven Wonders” has been a Halloween staple. Plus, it’s a really great song and Fleetwood Mac is flawless.

2. Thriller – Michael Jackson

I mean… obviously.

3. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper – Blue Oyster Cult

So maybe this 1976 classic is more well-known for Saturday Night Live’s “more cowbell!” sketch, but it still deserves to be on your Halloween playlist. The lyricism of this song is actually quite deep and scary — written by Blue Oyster Cult guitarist Donald Roeser, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” is about the inevitability of  death. So, don’t think too far into it and you should be good. Or if you would actually like to scare yourself, listen to lyrics. Your choice.

4. Edge of Seventeen – Stevie Nicks

Please see the reason for number one.

5. Midnight City – M83

This song isn’t scary or anything, it’s more of just a classic indie song that pretty much everyone knows. Plus, I guess “Midnight City” sounds kinda spooky if you’re scared of the dark or something.

6. Superstition – Stevie Wonder

Besides the fact that this song is a complete masterpiece, it’s also pretty notorious for being played at Halloween parties. And, might I add, Raven Symone’s cover of “Superstition” is played in the Disney Halloween movie, “The Haunted Mansion”. In conclusion, this song is a banger.

7. Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix) – Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The original “Heads Will Roll” is totally Halloween playlist worthy, but this remix amps it up.

8. Monster – Kanye West, Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Bon Iver

“Monster” is a complete hip-hop animal of a song. It was super advanced for its time, plus it introduced Nicki Minaj to the big leagues of rap.

9. Ghost – Halsey

An old school Halsey song that everyone should know — and should totally be on your Halloween party playlist.

10. Stan – Eminem

This song isn’t one of those traditional scary songs, but the lyrics and backstory make it high-key terrifying. Shout-out to Eminem for consistently writing and releasing horrifying songs, I guess.

Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.