Women in Computing Secretary: Alikeju Adejo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Computer science is a very prestigious program here at SUNY Oswego. It is known to be a male dominated major. However, the women here on campus are making sure it won’t stay like that for long. SUNY Oswego offers a variety of clubs. One of the clubs that encourages women to take a role in the computer science industry is Women In Computing. They do not discriminate, so men are able to join but attendance still consists of mostly women. This past weekend, Women In Computing Secretary, Alikeju Adejo went to an event called Hackathon and she’s here to give us all the inside details!

What year are you?

Sophomore.

What makes you a Woman In Computer Science?

1. I’m a woman. 2. I major in computer science, but overall I really like to create things and see the end product. I’ve learned the struggles of creating something that can later help people and that’s truly the best part of being a women in computer science. Advancing technology day by day.

What is your favorite thing about computer science?

Struggling through a problem and finally seeing the end product. It allows you to be creative and make new things. Computer Science is also evolving and changing so there’s always something new to learn.

What is Hackathon?

A place where people come together to create innovative,new ideas. For example, an app, website, and/or hardware.

What’s the atmosphere like at Hackathon?

Very supportive towards new ideas. Specifically the one I went to was for women so they were every empowering about women being in computer science. You’re under a lot of stress though, because you are required to create something computer-related in 24 hours.

What did your team create?

My team created an app that links women in third world countries to stores in their local areas. Stores that specifically provide products to aid reproductive health. You can find out more at https://devpost.com/software/red.

Did your new app win the Hackathon contest?

No, but it was still exciting to present it to the judges.

What is the biggest key takeaway from this experience?

It doesn’t matter if you win, it just matters if you learn something and get something out of it that can make you better at what you do.

Is there any advice that you’d like to offer to other women in computer science?

Don’t be discouraged if you’re in a male dominated field. I advise women to join clubs and go to events to feel comfortable. It reminds you that you’re not the only one and that you share the same challenges with other women.

Hey! My name is Asha! I attend Oswego State University in New York (woop woop). My major is Broadcast Journalism and I aspire to become a successful news anchor some day. My interests consist of horoscopes, home decor, and just talking and meeting new people. I hope you all enjoy my articles :) thanks guyss!!!
My name is Alesha Barrett and I'm a junior at SUNY Oswego. I am a Journalism Major and a Sociology and History double minor. My journalism concentration is sports and entertainment as you will see in many of the articles that I post. My dream job would be to work with Turner Sports Broadcasting Company in Atlanta, GA. Originally from Brooklyn, NY, I always had a passion for writing and NBA basketball so I wanted to combine the two into my career goal.