This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

For years, I found myself looking for a good way to organize what I had been reading in a digital format. I was used to using GoodReads, which will track the books you’re reading, how far along you are into them, and what your ratings and reviews are. Although it was simple to use, it didn’t go much further into detail and left me wanting just a little bit more. After utilizing Bookstagram a bit more and doing some research, I found an alternative that I have grown to love—StoryGraph.

StoryGraph has all the standard features that GoodReads has, but it also tracks so much more. This website takes the data of the books you’ve read and puts all of it into easy-to-manage pie charts based on genre, the moods of the books read, the average page numbers of what you’ve read, and so much more. It also tracks how many pages and books you’ve read in a month so you can compare how much you did throughout the year. 

I think my favorite thing about StoryGraph is how you can set specific reading goals for yourself every year. On GoodReads, you’re only able to set a specific book goal. For StoryGraph, you can set how many books you want to read that year as well as how many pages you want to read that year. It updates every day to tell you where you are in your goal, if you’re on the right track, and encourages you if you end up falling a little behind.

One last feature that I love about StoryGraph is it’s Buddy Read feature. With this feature, you can link up with your friends and track each other’s progress while reading the same book. It adds a whole new layer to buddy reading books.

Overall, StoryGraph is a lovely alternative to GoodReads. It keeps you engaged with reading and honestly encourages you to read more because of all the fun features it offers. If you or a friend are looking for a GoodReads alternative, or just generally would like to pick up a new habit, I highly recommend checking out StoryGraph.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.