Why Christianity Needs to Be More Open Minded

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I’m gonna make a very unpopular opinion here; being Christian isn’t that big of a deal. That’s not to say that it isn’t meaningful, it’s just that people who practice Christianity have a huge support system for their faith. We see it reflected in the numerous Christmas specials on television, its representation on social media … support for the Christian faith is shown in our pledge of allegiance and don’t forget the fact that it says “IN GOD WE TRUST” on our money. So while you can be happy with your faith as a Christian, you are certainly not singular; you have a whole society to back you up.

So it’s not very groundbreaking when someone says that they are Christian and don’t care what what religion you are. However, few people actually say it and mean it. People of the Christian faith always tend to say things like, “It’s fine that you don’t go to church or practice!” But the moment that anyone outside of the Christian religion speaks up about their faith, or lack thereof, suddenly are “oversharing” and “shouldn’t be pushing their views down others’ throats.” It seems pretty ridiculous once you consider that many immigrated to America in search of religious freedom, which literally became the first Amendment in the United States’ Constitution. I think it goes without saying that you can have a different set of beliefs and there will always be people who think you are “strange” for it.

From an early age, we are taught that certain types of religions are “right,” while others are “weird” or “made-up,” some are “evil,” and those who don’t believe anything are “crazy.” Despite being taught that every person should be respected and loved despite their differences, children still subconsciously make harmful assumptions based on the society that brought them up. I will never forget my best friend telling me how she felt ostracized in the fifth grade when she first started wearing her hijab and how upset that had made her. She was still the same person; all that changed was that her hair didn’t show anymore.

Yet this type of practice, shunning people based on their religious beliefs or treating them vehemently, continues even into adulthood where people “should know better.” We’ve all heard the stories of Islamic people (especially women) being told that their head-coverings or holidays can’t be upheld in certain workplaces or even schools. There is still the rampant stereotype that Jewish people are “greedy,” and thus, can’t be trusted with money. Hell, there are atheists that are cut off from their own families simply because the family refuses to even remotely understand their thoughts.

It has come to the point that we need to take a serious look at other religions and the way that we react to them and their customs, both on an individual level and societal level. While many aspects of religion leave much to be desired, we, as Americans especially, should actively encourage the understanding that people should not be penalized or vilified for their beliefs. We, those of us especially in the dominant Christian mindset, can not passively sit by and expect to suddenly have an inclusive society. There needs to be an honest open dialogue between people. Have a Hindu neighbor that invited you over for a holiday? Look it up and learn a bit about it. Don’t understand an atheist’s logic? Talk to one, see why they don’t believe.

Ultimately, the key is learning when to shut up and listen; let those who actually practice a religion, or not, tell you about those beliefs and why they are important to them. We can’t be so dismissive of different perspectives and views. And while society as a whole could stand to use a bit of an overhaul, everyone knows change starts from day-to-day interactions. So sit down, shut up, and learn about the different beliefs of this vast world. You might just find something new and exciting for you to believe in.

To the Christians out there, one of Jesus’ greatest wishes was for his people to love one another. Matthew 22:36-39 says, “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law? Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” And in this interconnected world, we are all neighbors and should, therefore, love every person … and lovingly accept their differences, even if their beliefs happen to clash with our own.

I am currently I senior here at our fair SUNY Oswego! While I enjoy writing for Her Campus, I also participate as the managerial editor for the Great Lake Review, as a student manager(called a group leader) at the Mackin Dining Complex, and as a community service member for the Women's Honor Society, VEGA. My future is a bit of a mystery even to me, but I believe that I'll either pursue the life of a librarian or the life of a baker!
Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.