When Is the Right Time for Christmas Tunes? 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

October. The month of spooky thrills and Halloween costumes has gone by in a flash.  

Now we have entered the gray, cool month of November, where in a few short weeks, the holiday involved with stuffing your face and giving thanks is celebrated, Thanksgiving. 

Many people seem to forget this fact and the second the clock strikes midnight on Oct. 31, the, “Monster Mash,” by Bobby Pickett is immediately swapped out for Mariah Carey’s, “All I Want for Christmas,” whom some may refer to as the “Queen of Christmas.” 

Every year, many people take to social media to express their excitement to listen to Christmas music again and for the Christmas season ahead, even Carey herself joining in on the fun and excitement. 

Seeing everyone post about it on social media, it got me thinking, is it too early to be listening to Christmas music? 

The way I see it now, I can’t really blame people for wanting to listen to Christmas music so early. 

The first of November is when most companies begin showing off Black Friday deals and start putting Christmas merchandise on their shelves, which gets people excited about Christmas and thinking about it. 

Personally, I think it is a bit early to listen to Christmas music just yet. 

I love Christmas music just as much as the next person, but what I love about it is it really captures the magic and essence surrounding Christmas. 

Given that it is still November and fall, for me it just feels wrong to be listening to it now. I’m still in the pumpkin spice state of mind. 

We also still have to get through Thanksgiving as well. I know it is not everyone’s favorite holiday and Christmas is preferred, but I also don’t think it should totally be dismissed. 

For me, the best time to start getting into the Christmas spirit is right after Thanksgiving. Growing up, my family always put the Christmas decorations up around the house the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I now associate that as the time to get into the Christmas spirit. 

Some people think that it is too late to begin Christmas festivities then, but there is still a whole month after Thanksgiving to get into the Christmas spirit and listen to some Christmas tunes! 

Kiley Wren

Oswego '24

Hello! My name is Kiley. I am a senior Journalism student here at Oswego with a minor in Creative Writing! Prior to attending Oswego, I obtained my Associate's Degree in General Studies from Herkimer College, which is right near my hometown of Frankfort, N.Y. Coming here to Oswego has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I love being right by Lake Ontario, going for long walks around Oswego and of course the stunning sunsets. Aside from going on walks, I love to spend my free time dancing, listening to music, writing, watching movies, hanging out with friends and occasionally dabble in some sports!