This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Holiday season is in full swing; Thanksgiving has ended, Hanukkah has begun, and Christmas is coming up. I, personally, have been listening to absurd amounts of Christmas music, wearing cozy pajamas and mentally mapping out the gifts I want to give to my friends and family. This is genuinely my favorite time of the year for so many different reasons, it’s hard to list them all.

I think the main reason I love the holidays is because of the general joy surrounding them. Colors seem brighter, laughter seems sweeter, and everything just feels more genuine and heartfelt. It’s really difficult for me to be sad this time of year because I’ve associated it with all positive things. I get the chance to bake more and surround myself with items that bring me joy like sweet smelling candles and soft, cozy blankets. Finding joy in little things just feels so much easier. Life feels a little simpler.

Along with all this, I like the feeling of giving people handmade gifts. I love creating things- crochet, paintings, any craft I can get my hands on, I love giving to people. It’s always personalized and sincere, and getting to see their expressions always lights up my day. Receiving gifts is fun, but giving them to other people lights up my world.

Speaking of lights. Being able to go around to different places and see the stunning decorations put up, especially when they do light shows, is absolutely incomparable to any other season. Being able to see the joy in something as simple as pretty lights is so lovely. Not to mention, I get very excited to see lights syncing up with music.

I readily admit that I am very privileged to be able to experience all this in the way that I am. Holidays can be difficult for a lot of people for a variety of reasons, and this season is (understandably) dreaded. No matter the reason or background, whether you enjoy the holidays or not, just find one small thing a day that brings you joy. Maybe it’s the sound of your neighbors laughing, or the new Christmas lights that have popped up around town. The end of the year, if not every day, should be joyful and sweet no matter what you are (or aren’t) celebrating.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.